Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Temple of Fusion - All Your Transistors Will Bow to Me

Default Re: Temple of Fusion - All Your Transistors Will Bow to Me

Still Taking it Easy - 10/10/2010

I am still feeling the affects from last week and the three trips to the ER. I almost had to go to a fourth time, but made it through. It was another drug reaction. Sometime I feel like I am a Guinea pig for the doctors.

After thinking about it, I am not going to do the drawer for the case. It seemed to be more of a problem then actual being functional. So I just bolted the back of the case onto the Temple. Then took out the sander and got it all flushed.

I took out my frustrations on the Cooler Master HAF X case. I got it torn down and the parts that I needed. I needed the E-ATX tray and back plate. Also going to try to re-use the disks bays and connectors. You can see the tare down of the case, and all the poor rivets I devoured with the drill.

With the parts that I needed and the HAF X case torn down, I moved onto the panels for the case. I started on the base and the cobble stone veneer. The panels are not long enough, so I am going to separate them into two pieces, with a piece of brass covering up the seem. Also planning the same thing for the Temple. Here are some pics of the two pieces.

I got the chance to start painting the panels. I chose a spay paint from the model train store called 'dirt.' I doesn't look bad at all and fits into the ancient temple theme. The first shot is after the second spay, and the last shot is after the third spay. Looks like it will take about 4-5 coats to get the panels painted. The bad thing is the paint only comes in 3 ounce spray cans and each spray can cost about $4.50. This is going to be an expensive paint job, but everything about this project has been expensive

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Interesting affect, I like it.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Interesting affect, I like it.
    Yeah, the ‘dirt’ paint is a nice affect with the cobble stone veneer. Hopefully the ‘sand’ paint works out good with the stone veneer that I will be using for the Temple. I am going for the Egyptian sandstone look for the Temple. I guess I will find out next weekend.

lol awesome paintjob. Spray on adhesive and some real dirt might have been cheaper though! lol probably wouldn't work as well though.

(posted this in wrong thread. haha oops)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    lol awesome paintjob. Spray on adhesive and some real dirt might have been cheaper though! lol probably wouldn't work as well though.

(posted this in wrong thread. haha oops)
    LOL. Yeah, some real dirt would be a lot cheaper. However, it might smell after awhile. I think I will stick with the paint

haha good idea. (although it would be sweet to have real plants growing around your Temple of Fusion... that would be one MASSIVE computer though. )
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    haha good idea. (although it would be sweet to have real plants growing around your Temple of Fusion... that would be one MASSIVE computer though. )
    Maybe I can have plants around the Temple to offset the carbon foot print. With two 5970 cards overclock with a 1090T pushed to it limits, it is going to be a very large carbon foot print

1 Step Forward, 2 Steps Back - 10/18/2010

This week was a rough week for the case. It started out good by printing out the graphics for the doors and obelisks for the metal etching. Then it went down hill from there. I stated transferring the toner to the metal, but messed up the first two. The last two I could fix, by using a Sharpe on the spots the toner flaked off. The two eagles are the door design. Then the Egyptian design is for the inner obelisk.

Then I started the etching process, and it didn't work. After thinking about it, I believe I left out the copper sulfate bath too long. Also, I could of hooked up the terminals wrong. After the last two weeks of hell with all the drug reactions, I wouldn't put it past myself that I hooked it up wrong. Anyways, her is the pic of the aftermath.

I took a break from the etching to focus on the veneer panels. I tried out the 'sand' paint on the panels and it looked horrible. I quickly removed the paint. All the flacks in the 'sand' paint hid all the stone details of the panel. I have pick out a new sandstone spray and then paint the stone joints by brush, which is going to take some time.

After those two disasters, I focused on just cutting out the panels for the Temple and base. Here are some pics.

Medical Drama Continues - 10/31/2010

Sorry that I didn't post last week, but I got caught up in some more medical trouble. Basically my condition got worse and I had to take medical leave of absence from my job. I have some medical procedures that are coming up and I might have to get surgery. The doctors don't want me to work, however they want me to move around every day for at least an hour or two. I am going to use an hour of that to work on the case. The good thing is that I have short and long term disability insurance, so I am not worried.

Last week, I did have a chance to re-do some of the metal etching. I got three doors done. I would have got the fourth one, but the toner transfer didn't go to well. I have some black paint and will touch up some spots, but it looks good. Cannot wait to do the obelisks now.

I got all the pieces cut out for the base. I started spraying on the 'dirt' paint. I also got some of the Temple panels cut out too. I will have to hand paint the Temple panels.

I got my other liquid cooled PSU in and I had to take some pics. Oh yeah, 2,000W of liquid cooled power. Hopefully I am the first to have two liquid cooled PSUs in a case.

Happy Halloween!!!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Mmm, Love the PSUs.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV