Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Temple of Fusion - All Your Transistors Will Bow to Me

Default Re: Temple of Fusion - All Your Transistors Will Bow to Me

Cyborg Man - 2/22/2011

I suffer from chronic facial pain on both sides of my face. The pain is localized on the cheeks and around the noise. It is the second branch of the trigeminal nerve. The chronic pain was caused by one of the chemos drugs I took during my cancer treatments. It some how caused nerve damage in my face.

The doctors are now using neuro-stimulators to help with chronic nerve pain. The stimulators are commonly used for chronic back pain, but now are expanding out to other parts of the body. I was lucky enough to have the health insurance to approve the stimulator for chronic facial pain.

The surgery I had yesterday is called a trial surgery. Basically only putting the wires into body, while the electronic box is on the outside. The trial is used to make sure the stimulator works, before implanting everything into the body. Here are some pics of the wires coming out of my face.

I can only use the stimulator for a short period of time currently. The doctors want to wait a couple of days for the body to heal. But the good thing is I am seeing some good results for the short time that it is on. Tomorrow I am allowed to run it all day. If the trial is a success, I will have the full surgery in about a month and a half. The bad thing is they have to remove the wires for that month and a half. If it works, it going to be the longest month and a half of my life

Custom Title Honors

dude, somewhere your doctor has posted pics up of this on some people-modding forum in his WIP thread.

seriously though, that's absolutely fascinating to me. i hope you keep us updated as to how it turns out, if it works or not.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

That's great to hear! And congratulations on the first step. OOC, what kind of power draw does that have? Will you have to charge frequently? I have this crazy idea of getting a doctor's note to let me wear a hat with a tiny steam generator everywhere...the affect would be even better if the wires were external..sorta some weird biopunk/steampunk mashup.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Glad to hear that it looks promising. I can only imagine how it'll feel to find something that works and then having to go without it for a month and a half.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    dude, somewhere your doctor has posted pics up of this on some people-modding forum in his WIP thread.

seriously though, that's absolutely fascinating to me. i hope you keep us updated as to how it turns out, if it works or not.
    Sure will. The surgery was a great success. Now I am waiting for the full surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    That's great to hear! And congratulations on the first step. OOC, what kind of power draw does that have? Will you have to charge frequently? I have this crazy idea of getting a doctor's note to let me wear a hat with a tiny steam generator everywhere...the affect would be even better if the wires were external..sorta some weird biopunk/steampunk mashup.
    The draw is very little, and in the micro amp range. I should only have to charge every month, so it is not too much of a problem. Also, I can connect to the device and change parameters, like frequency and duty cycle.

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    Glad to hear that it looks promising. I can only imagine how it'll feel to find something that works and then having to go without it for a month and a half.
    Yeah, waiting definitely sucks, but the good thing is it should be a month instead of a month and a half. Also, it is a good wait, since I know it will fix the pain

Trial & Polishing Done - 3/5/2011

The trial surgery for the facial neuro- stimulator was a smashing success. It drop my pain level by ~90%. It was great to have pretty much no pain for 5 days. The sad thing is I have to take out the wires, and wait for about a month for the full surgery. This is were they will install the control unit and battery in my upper right chest along with the wires.

Back to the computer case build. I m glad to say I finished the polishing on all the edging. It was a long process, but will paid off with the bling of nicely polished brass. Here are some pics of all the edging.

With the edging completed, I have all the outside material complete: veneer, brass plates, and the brass edging. Now I am going to move onto getting the computer built. I want to make the placement of the drives, USBs, and control buttons and lights before putting on the outside material. This is going to be exciting, because I will get all the computer bling out. Also all the liquid cooling bling too. Now I got to order the remaining liquid cooling pieces that I need.

Ooooh, shiny.

A 90% pain reduction is awesome! Wonderful to hear!
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Ooooh, shiny.

A 90% pain reduction is awesome! Wonderful to hear!
    Yeah, 90% pain was awesome. For the last 2 years I have been in constant pain, then had 5 days of no pain. It was so great. No I am waiting for the final surgery, which is looking to be in mid-April.

EK Goodies - 3/18/2011

Now that I am finishing up the case, I will start focusing on the computer and liquid cooling systems. Therefore I need to start getting the parts, and my sponsor, EK, came through big time. I got a nice package in the mail with a lot of liquid cooling goodies. I got two 5970 water blocks with the back plates. The water cooling blocks for my 790FX board, and a CPU water block. All water blocks are nickel plated and Acetal on the cover. Also I got a lot of 1/2” tubing and connectors. Here are some pics of all the goodies. Please don't drool all over yourself

Thank you EK Water Block!!!!!!!!!!!

I also had to get some parts for the case. I got a power/reset and media panel that I will use for the computer. I will have this and the Blu-Ray player on the left side of the computer. I got a multi-PSU connector, which will make hooking up the two liquid cooled PSU a breeze. The last thing was a tool to disconnect the wires from a connector. This will make custom wiring a lot easier.

I should have an update on the project soon. Just finishing up the polishing of the brass plates and pyramids. The I will start making custom brass boxes to hold the HDDs and SSDs. I was planing on reusing the HAF X boxes, but it would be funner to make custom boxes and continue the brass theme. Now I got to get a bench top metal brake/shear to make the custom boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by 6-Bolt View Post
    Here are some pics of all the goodies. Please don't drool all over yourself
    O_O.. . . Sorry, what were you saying?

Congrats on the sponsor loot!
    --Benjamin Franklin