Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sooo, what if in your RPG...

Default Sooo, what if in your RPG...

...creatures didn't drop gold?

I'm experimenting with a quasi-item-synthesis kinda something item system, and correlative to that I'm thinking of removing the logic-stretching "Random flying spider clown horse dropped 3200 gold! And a shiny +5 vorpal Lady Gaga-bane upholstery of knitting +3!" kinda stuff in favor of completely logical drops, with an item combination setup hopefully going to make an appearance.

Anyway, thoughts? I'm running this here and on Bit to get some ideas, then condensing the answer into a Video Game Design 1XX post. So fire away.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Sooo, what if in your RPG...

I would definitely support that. It has always kinda bugged me when a random animal drops, say, a bowl, wooden spoon, and 20 gold pieces. Having various animals only drop items that make sense for that animal (hide/teeth/claws/meat/etc) would be much better, imo.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    I would definitely support that. It has always kinda bugged me when a random animal drops, say, a bowl, wooden spoon, and 20 gold pieces. Having various animals only drop items that make sense for that animal (hide/teeth/claws/meat/etc) would be much better, imo.
    Exactly.

I always wondered if I had just killed a guy in an animal suit...
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Hmmm, depending on the scope that you want to take this to, maybe even have different classes get different stuff? Say, you kill the animal, and then search/skin/whatever it, and some classes get hides, some get teeth, some get bones, some get meat or organs, etc, depending on the different skills that the player has. Then, say, someone that's a different class comes along, and they can search/whatever the corpse again and get stuff that you couldn't. Maybe even make a 'skinning' (or whatever is relevant) skill, so when you start out you get small, crappy skins, but later, from the same animal you get big, good skins. Also, maybe even have the type of attack(s) that were used on the animal determine the usefulness of the items? Say, if it were killed with a fire attack, the hide might be useless but the skeleton might still be good. Or, if it were killed with a crushing attack the skeleton and organs might be useless but the hide and meat will still be fine..maybe the meat is even better (tenderized)? Or maybe, if it were killed with a lot of bladed weapon attacks, you would get less hide from the corpse.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Like a Lightning Bolt in Your Cheerios! Drum Thumper's Avatar

You guys play too much Warcraft...
    Quote Originally Posted by artoodeeto View Post
    aw heck guys. We're modders. Let's just build our own, shall we?

DrumThumper.net || The Brewing Art ||
    My Flickr Stream

Hahaha, I've actually never really liked WoW. I did the trial, but idk, I just never really...idk, it didn't 'click'. EVE on the other hand...that's a different story. If I hadn't forced myself to stop after the first month, I hate to think how much time I would have spent on that...
    --Benjamin Franklin

hah. Do remember, at least I have a real use for the info here-my game is rapidly taking shape (imported a completely new engine...)
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

While I completely agree with the bad-guy-drops-only-logical-items scheme, the problem I see is in how to make those items useful to the player without making the game overly complicated.

I'm pretty sure that was the origin of the dancing-vorpal-blade-of-sharpness-in-the-spider-bunny syndrome in the first place.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    You guys play too much Warcraft...
    Ha! No. Damn that game. I haven't played it in a year or two...but I will have to when Cataclysm releases later this year. Blizzard knows how to write a good, entangled storyline. I've been told I could just read the books and be done with it, but I prefer interactive stories to books or movies.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Ha! No. Damn that game. I haven't played it in a year or two...but I will have to when Cataclysm releases later this year. Blizzard knows how to write a good, entangled storyline. I've been told I could just read the books and be done with it, but I prefer interactive stories to books or movies.
    /me raises hand also. Cataclysm... damn you Blizzard!

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro