Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: project learning?

Default Re: project learning?

Not to be a downer or anything but if this is anything like the models I sold at Tractor Supply you may be doing a whole lot more work than its worth. Had a guy buy one of these, came back aobut two weeks later and bought a briggs and stratton motor off the shelf and replaced the hunk of crap that came with it.
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

yeah ive read some things about this engine being a pain in the ass and not being very good but the block its self is very good that's all that matters really. mostly everything else is going to be replaced with better performance parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

Like I said just trying to warn ya more than anything, might also see if you can't get it on a frame jig to re-enforce it.. minor thread jack I think I may be doing a little build of my own in the spring Kikker Hardknock
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Hey, Blaze. Gotta PM you. Might have some neat info after talking to my Dad.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

+ rep altec.

thanks for the help glad all you guys are nice enough to give me some pointers.

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

mini update

since i cant finish the bike till sunday. i figured iwould just start working on the carb. i started tearing it apart then i realized i have no idea if water will rust this thing or not. so i grabbed some peroxide. i have found rust every where. on the brass,plastic,even inside the chamber. now here is where things get confusing is it safe to use water on these like let it all soak in warm water for a few days or something. the rust is very thick on here. im having a hell of a time getting it off. here are soem pics.

the chamber. you can kind of see the build up of white stuff.

a better picture. as you can clearly see the white stuff and rust.

the top side with all the valves and jazz.

and the other side of the chamber.

so if any one has any ideas let me know!!

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

Carb cleaner, wire brush, and elbow grease. The inside needs to be much cleaner than the outside.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Paint thinner, mineral spirits or turpentine will also work as cheaper substitutes for carb cleaner. I've got a table top parts washer and the "special" solution that they sell for it smells just like turpentine. Also on the inside use a brass wire brush so it doesn't chew up the venturi of the carb. Scotchbrite pads work well to. Like mDust said elbow grease, there's simply no replacement for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Water won't do much. Maybe loosen some dirt. It won't hurt anything either. Just dry all the steel parts after you pull them out.

I always use carb cleaner, and diesel fuel. That, with some wire brushes, a screw driver for a pick, and some rags you can do the job nicely. I suggest getting some latex gloves for this. Eye protection is nice to, but I ain't your poppa...

The biggest thing while cleaning is getting all the crap out of the bowl, and cleaning all the small fuel ports. If you have access with a air compressor with a air blower you can do this easy. Otherwise you can pick up a orifice cleaning tool. Most of the time they are in a blue little case. Most welding shops sell them, and even Home Depot should have them in their little welding/soldering section. Or you can always use small sewing needles.

I also suggest taking it apart on a tray. Don't want to lose any parts. I find it easiest to pull the bowl off, clean the whole carb the best I can then do the internal pieces one at a time. Putting them right back after cleaning.
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

lol i sat at my desk for 3 hour last night dis assembling the carb and cleaning every bit with q-tips but i want this thing to look brand spanking new so if i just hose it off or run it under water will it rust.

oh and i went to the auto parts store for a gasket and i was talking to the guy and he basically called me retarded when i said i wanted to bore the carb out. i just love it when people are so negative to what i know i can do with things.

by the way in case you guys are curious or want some parts this is the site im using.

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.