Default Re: working with sheet metal

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    tapper thing-a-majig-
    It's simply called a tap or a tap set.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

In the few mods that I've done I've had access to a metal worker's shop and as someone who is still a novice, I can't stress how much a good file set has helped .
    It's slow and takes some practice and effort, but learning to use metal files is vital in finish work. Dremel's aren't always as practical as a good file.

Also, for anyone out there that wants to try their hand at soldering, get some copper plumbing pipe and solder. Use a propane torch. It shows you how to use it at higher levels and can teach you how to work with heatpipes.

Just my 2 cents.

Anodized

thats crAZY HELPFUL TAHNKS

Overclocked

Alright, i feel like i should have something to contribute.

MIG, TIG, stick, and Brazing

It doesnt matter what you call it, it is still just putting metal together, or building it up for strength. for the sake of modding purposes, i will stick (heh small pun) to welding sheet metal. i will briefly cover the type of joints commonly used.

Butt joint:
    The butt joint is when two peices of metal come together on the same plane. for thick stuff, you usually want to leave 3/4 the thickness metal gap between the two peices. even thicker require the edge to be beveled. Sheet metal, however, is usually placed so it is touching.

Lap joint:
    The lap joint is where one of the peices is laid directly over the top of another, overlapping it by however much the welder shooses. i keep it to between 1/2 in to 1 in overlap. then a bead is laid on the edges of the metal.

Corner joint:
    you take both peices of metal and put them at any angle you want, like but butt joint, but just not straight. tack and weld it up from there.

Because the sheer fact that sheet metal can easily be blown through by welding, special caution is needed so there is no blow-through. you can stop this by...

Mig: mig likes to blow holes through sheet metal. often the easiest for a beginner to use, the wire is automatically fed through a gun with a trigger setup. My advice is, if you are a beginner, which you should be otherwise you wouldnt be reading this, tack (basically just weld a dot) the peices together. instead of welding them, with a conventional bead, tack the metal as if you were laying coins on the material one by one so they overlap.

A special mig kit is needed to weld aluminum, and it does not work wll at all.

TIG: if you have acess to one of there beauties, your in great luck. Practice using both hands and foot. remember, anybody can weld mig, but not as many can weld TIG. The secret here is to push the bead along. the arc is plenty hot enough to melt your wire. get the stuff in the arc, smuch it where you want it, and use your arc to move it around. dont get too close otherwise the metal will seemingly leap onto your electrode. this will happen but remember this.

ALWAYS GRIND YOUR ELECTRODE SO THE GRINDING STRIATIONS COME TO THE POING AND NOT MAKE CIRCLES.

i cannot stress this point enough. the circle pattern from grinding makes the arc jump and bounce all over the place while the vertical grooves make it focused.

Stick:
    what you need to do for stick is learn how to strike an arc. some tap it, but i find that difficult. i find if you keep the stick at about 30 degrees off vertical and drag it you can get a very nice strike.

another thing, if you want to weld sheet metal, you will need a fast-freeze electrode. it does nothing other than cool down-realy fast. which helps so you dont blow through.

as far as i know i do not believe you can weld aluminum with a stick machine.

Brazing:
    Brazing is a lot like tig in the sense that you ave two hands working at the same time. get good at setting the torch. you need to set the level of acetylene so that smoke stops pouring out of the flames, it you want to be precise i suggest a very soft flame.

if you have ever soldered on a large scale, this would be it. instead of just laying a layer of metal on top, like soldering, this actually bonds with the metal. any time i have ever dont this it was with sheet metal, i have never burned through, and it leaves a cool gold like finish when done.

3:00 AM Peace out

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

Great work Slug and Maz for the last bit. Very well explained.

I'm realy never one for safty first and all that but a quick nightclass in welding is realy a good idea. Needless to say that sh*t melts skin alot faster than metal!

Last thing you guys need is some kid with no face and a rather ticked off mother at your door =S

*Take note this is proberly the closest I'll get to being a responsible adult!*

7 something am.....realy should hit the hay!

Overclocked

this is a rule of thumb when welding, when the metal is red, its still hot. when its not red anymore, its still hot. ten minutes later, still hot. guys make sure you have a bucket of water around to quench the metal so it cools faster.

if you chew, lick, pick up, or stick the welded material in your pants, i am not at fault for describing how to weld. what may follow from your own stupidity is your own fault and please treat it as such.

"you must be the change you wish to see in the world"
    -ghandi

High-tech Redneck crazybillybob's Avatar

Aluminum can be stick welded It takes a DC welder and special Rods but it can be done. Aluminum can also be soldered (real close to brazing but not as strong), you have to have Aluminum solder (some times called aluminum brazing rod) Belive it or not Lowes carries this, granted it's in short little 12" stick and it costs an arm and a half but it's there. The DOwn side to aluminum soldering is that it's not very strong, it will hold decrotive peice to gether well, may even work ok for a case that doesn't move allot. But If it's going to move (or have allot of weight or vibration on it) have it welded, cause you'll not like the out come if you don't.

Side saftey note, Allways wear the correct welding maks for the type of welding that your doing.... (arc welding takes a much darker filter then welding (or brazing) with a tourch). Many of these type of welding use High presure gases, make sure the tanks are properly secure from falling (Ie. Chaied to a bottle stand or wall etc) and that you check your hoses for leaks before use. All welding produces toxic gases make sure you work in a well ventalated area. Allways wear long sleeves (Cotton!!!) and thick gloves that metal gets hot and stays hot for a long time!!

Good luck!!!

CrazyBillyBob

Anodized

thanks for all the tips my next mod is going to have a bit of sheet metal so this a a huge help!
    A wise man once said "Enjoy every sandwich."

Fresh Paint

can anyone recomend a place i can purchase a bench rolling machine?

Life is like an analogy...

well i suppose that depends on where you live. if i know that, i can have a look around. i dont know what ill find though. if all else fails, you can just ask at a home improvement store and maybe they can set you in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug Toy
    im pretty sure i was your car, but i was into mah music and didnt think too much of it