Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: All-in-one pc?

Fresh Paint

Default All-in-one pc?

Hey all,
    I'm soooooooooo pleased I found this forum. I was wondering if you could help. I'm trying to design an all in one pc. I spooose its a bit imac-esque. So does anyone have any ideas on how to go about this?

I was thinking maybe using a laptop motherboard as that has better onboard graphics than a standard desktop motherboard. Although that doesn't give me the expansion for later additions.

Also there is the issue of space. It would be good to keep this pretty sleek.

Cheers.
    Dave

Default Re: All-in-one pc?

If you don't need a whole lot of power out of it, I'd look at something Atom-based with onboard GeForce 9400 - not a lot of CPU grunt, mind, but adequate for DVD playback, music, Web surfing, and such, especially with a dual-core processor. I know Zotac makes 'em in an ITX form factor (17cm/6.7 inches square); I'm not sure about any other companies.

That, mounted to the back of an LCD monitor (it'd be ideal if you could locate a short DVI cable) would get you easily halfway there. If you're willing to deal with another inch/couple centimetres in height/depth, you could always add a PCIE x16 video card (or anything you want, really) to some ITX 'boards. If you really need more kick, you can find 'em in Socket AM3/775/1156 form as well, but then you'd likely require a taller heatsink.

Regardless, you'd want a 2.5" laptop HDD/SSD, a laptop optical drive (if any at all), possibly an inline plugpack and DC-DC PSU... What do you want to use this machine for?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitternacht View Post
    Everyone else had quotes, and I didn't. I figured the next funny thing I see I'd throw in my sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Jon, the whole post is about building a bong that changes its own water.
    Gee, it damn sure took me long enough to find and add the origin of the first quote...

Fresh Paint

I think an Atom would be waaay too slow. I was thinking of using this as my creative hub. So a bit of programming, a bit of drawing, a bit of 3d graphics, and a bit of web design. I don't think an Atom would cut it. I would like it to have some grunt and more importantly a bit of longevity.

I understand this is a complex build and it doesn't have to be the creme de la cream.

Oh, and it needs to be quiet lol.

Cheers,
    Dave.

Do you have a monitor with VESA mounting holes in the back?
    Are you able to do some light modifications?

I thought about getting a 25-30" monitor and mounting a piece of acrylic to the VESA holes on the back. Then mounting a motherboard and the other components to the acrylic.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Fresh Paint

yh I was planning the make the whole thing, case and all. So I can take the monitor apart. i want the most integrated look i can get.

Fresh Paint

oh yh and yes it has vesa mounts

Make it air tight and fill it with oil for better heat dissipation? ^^
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Quote Originally Posted by Diamon View Post
    Make it air tight and fill it with oil for better heat dissipation? ^^
    HAHA! I like the way you think! Though putting oil in a monitor is probably not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by davbren
    yh I was planning the make the whole thing, case and all. So I can take the monitor apart. i want the most integrated look i can get.
    You don't really need to take the monitor apart to do something like this. Just mount a sheet of acrylic on the VESA holes and put motherboard standoffs on the opposite side. Everything else can be mounted to that one sheet. You can cover it however you want. I'd just shape-to-fit some more acrylic and paint the monitor and 'cover' to match.

Fresh Paint

hmm I spose I could leave the monitor case on but wouldn't that take up more room?

Quote Originally Posted by davbren View Post
    hmm I spose I could leave the monitor case on but wouldn't that take up more room?
    It shouldn't. Perhaps I'm just not understanding what you mean. Can you post a pic of it?