Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 491011121314

Thread: Project - Air Cube v2

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Project - Air Cube v2

Thanks Jase, that 3 weeks flew by lol hope you had a good holiday mate , the case is almost done, once I have these panels made, painted & attached I'll be contacting the guy who wants to feature it in a mag to let him know it's finished , I just couldn't let it be featured knowing it could have been improved a bit here & there .

I admit the double layer looked good, but it disguised the pattern too much so since I'm yet to do the extra layer panels I thought I'd do a pattern that flows with the original ones, they could go above or below the originals, whichever looks best & sticking with the colours of the fans frame & blades, also decided to remake 1 of the top panels as it were not as good as the other.

So I have 5 panels to cut & sand, if I push myself I'll have the panels cut today & the sanding done tomorrow, but having said that the new patterns are less complex so should be a little easier.

Here is the side & top panel laid over what I'm going to do, I sure have my work cut out for the next days .

My mate says he loves new zealand & wants to go back there to live, sounds good there, study well & you'll breeze uni .
    Oh & you don't have to wait I got really stuck in again & got them all cut, just need to sand them smooth . Started about 3pm finished at 7pm, not bad for 5 panels .

Here we go .

Overslept until 3pm lol must have been knackered from all the cutting, had a few cappuccinos & started sanding at 4pm, had 2 smokie breaks & finished at 11pm, wolfed down a bowl of broccoli & beef pasta then had to use the flash to take the sanded pics.
    Need to put an order in for the paint all the local auto shops only seem to stock 1 of each colour & often don't have what I want.

Once I have these painted I have a mammoth task of cleaning the garage & my dads bikes lol .

The reason for the black panels is I searched around the house & found some 1mm thick black anodised sheet I had left over from the prototype air cube.

Thanks Luthien & Jase .

Done a test fit for while I wait for the paint, should look sweet once painted ice blue & dark steel blue, both metallics.

Good thing I did a test fit, a little more needs filing down on the inside edges of the side grills.

Phew, glad you guys think so , seems it's having a like it or don't effect on some people, but yeah I think it will look pretty sweet when painted, I guess modders are better at visualising what things would look like once done, someone also suggested polishing the primary layer & painting the secondry layer the same colour as the case, I do admit that would look pretty sweet but would be very dificult to do & a pain to maintain, chrome plating came to mind to make it an easier & supremely better looking option but don't have the budget to do that & don't have a lot of faith in the postage system especially for things I've worked hard on, paint just requires a bit of dusting now & again , chrome plating is something I'll be finding more about though for my future builds instead of polishing, I'm not too keen on polished alu to be honest, but chrome plating could be fantastic, alu needs treating with something before it can be chrome plated so I'd expect it to not be cheap.

Back to the project I filed & sanded the inside borders of the primary side panel layers so they'll look that smidge better when it's done, so just waiting for the paint now.

Default Just a status update this one.

Thanks for the tips Jase .

Just a status update this one.

Got the paint yesterday, the layer panels were already prepped so primed, sanded, coloured, cleared them all, went to install them today & had a couple of face palm moments .

I put the side panels in the wrong way round, but carried on taking pictures then thought midway through taking the pics all the effort I've put into this & I'm doing that lol so took them off & put them on the right way & heres the other face palm moment, I painted the wrong sides of the secondry layer on the sides so the patterns didn't line up as planned, very glad I ordered 2 of each colour, whipped them off & painted the other sides, should be good to go tomorrow lol .

The difference in the 2 shades of blue isn't much to be honest but still looks good, I think the only way I'm going to get pictures done to do it justice is if I make a cheapo photo boothe, the light in my room makes my photography & the case look shoddy & with it being finished I want to get as good of quality pictures as possible with my camera to finish this log off .

Bit the bullet & just ordered the ingredients for a cheapo makeshift photo boothe.
    3 light fittings which can clip onto things
    3 daylight bulbs
    a clothes line
    a plain white shower curtain
    a big piece of black fabric & white fabric to see which is best looking.
    £46 all ordered so should hopefully have some sweet finished pictures incoming by next week .
    I could post some pictures tomorrow but I'd rather post good quality pics once I have the boothe made , it's about time I upped the photo quality .

Default Re: Project - Air Cube v2 - 49 finished pics

LOL, not a lot goes to plan & waiting for the bits for a photo boothe is no exception .

I remembered I had a couple of sheets of white foamboard that I originally bought to make a big photo boothe but didn't end up making it. Did want to take the case outside but were no sign of at least dry weather so I experimented & got a bright idea of using the light coming into my room as good as possible combined with my kodak easyshare z950 & a tripod.

So the bits I ordered for making a photo boothe won't go to waste, not at all, it'll all be perfect for any future project logs .

Placed a sheet up against the north faced wall so it could catch the light coming from the south, taped it to furniture, placed the other sheet on the floor, placed a lazy susan on it so I can easily swivel it around to catch all angles & took 151 pictures lol , a lot to cherry pick in that lot, got down to 49 cropped pics, should probably do some more picking to slim the post down but no I'll just post them, sorry if it's too many but wanted the pics to capture what it really looks like.

On with the daylight lazy susan foamboard enhanced 100% finished pics of the Air Cube woooo.

And finally the photo boothe lol & the mess I need to tidy & clean .

Massive thank you to all who tuned in to view & comment, happy modding all, I have no idea what I'll make next but I'm sure an idea will pop into my head in time .

Link to original thread.