Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just did some file purging on the laptop....

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Just did some file purging on the laptop....

For the last few weeks my laptop has been hovering around 1.2GB of free storage space and has been for months needing a thorough file cleaning.

So I run CCleaner first and get a huge surprise. The temporary files folder is holding close to 60gb worth of old unused temp files. For some reason windows is not purging this folder after a set period of time or after programs finish the install process. While CCleaner is deleting things AVG pops up with 8 Trojans that were hiding in the temp internet files.

I continue to delete things and remove unused programs. All in all I wound up clearing off close to 100gb.

So I run the registry cleaner and it detects 284 "errors" and unused extensions. So I fix them, and run it a few more times. It totaled close to 350 errors and unused extensions.

I have defraggler running now, but from what I can tell the laptop already seems more snappy and I think I will be able to squeeze another 4-6 months out of this 2.5 year old Vaio 1.7GHz Dual core Pentium D with 2gb of kingston ram. That will give me enough time to save up another 3-400 bucks so I can drop a grand on a nice new 17" laptop.

Default Re: Just did some file purging on the laptop....

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    All in all I wound up clearing off close to 100gb.
    Holy mother of free space...

I run ccleaner at least once a month on my computers to avoid such scenarios. Congrats on finding a new HDD hidden on you HDD!
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Free hard drive space for free
    EVGA P55 LE :: Intel i5-750 @ 3.8 GHz w/ Zalman 9500 :: 2x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 :: ATI Radeon 5850 :: Micro Center G2 64GB SSD :: Samsung F3 1TB :: Western Digital 320GB :: X-Fi Xtreme Music :: Corsair TX-750w :: Windows 7 64-Bit :: Lian Li PC-9F

Sheesh, 60gb temp files. My personal record is like 2gb 0_o

I've had like 800 registry errors on an old machine though ^^
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Holy mother of free space...

I run ccleaner at least once a month on my computers to avoid such scenarios. Congrats on finding a new HDD hidden on you HDD!
    Yea, its only a 250gb drive. Smallest one I own now.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamon View Post
    Sheesh, 60gb temp files. My personal record is like 2gb 0_o

I've had like 800 registry errors on an old machine though ^^
    Yea I have seen it around 2gb before but never 60. I usually run ccleaner every month or so. I just let it go a bit too far this time.

After Defraggler finished up, there was about 200Mb more free. This laptop does feel like a new machine now though.

Dude, that's just insane! But now that you mention it, I should clean up some stuff myself.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

250GB? You can still get drives that small???? *grins and ducks*

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

I just broke the 3Tb barrier and if you count the NAS I have to return I have 4.32Tb total. But yes this laptop came with a 160, which died a few weeks after I bought it. Called Sony and did some bitching and 3 days later I had a brand new 250gb hitachi drive. 2.5 years later its still reporting close to 100% on S.M.A.R.T

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I'm currently sitting with my server at 6.89TB, 1.77TB free, but I freely admit, of the 5TB used, there's maybe, at most, 0.8TB which is actually IMPORTANT lol....

I don't want to get into counting other puters in the house lol - there are about 8 of em ranging from 120GB up to 750GB so there's a chunk more there too...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

**** man... When I was running XP I used to wipe and reinstall every few months.

Athlon 64 3000+, 2 GBs of RAM, GeForce 5500. Ran like new for a good few years. :lol:

Speaking of which, I need to reinstall Win7 sometime. Take it off RAID0 as I honestly don't see a performence increase..

-CollinstheClown