Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Computer troubles after a power surge

Default Re: Computer troubles after a power surge

Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    Another person suggested to me that is may be the power supply (I don't know why it's so hard to figure it out). Unfortunately any spare power supply I may have lying around does have the extra 4 pins that my motherboard needs (why the hell can I not remember what that's called). So pretty much I guess my power supply uses a 24 pin connector, and every spare power supply I have is only 20 pins.

Will I still be able to connect one of those power supplies to the motherboard and see if anything happens? I just want to make sure I can figure out the exact problem as much as I can before buying a new piece of hardware, if I have to, since funds are a bit limited for myself at the moment.
    For about 4.00 you can get this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812201001

I don't know what kind of computer stores you have around you, but you can probably find one locally too. If you have other PSU's you can actually, just as a test, use the power cable from one of them to see if it's the power supply. I mean the big black one you plug into the PSU from the wall. Otherwise those converters can be bought pretty cheap. They even have some that are single sleeve for asthetics.

I did try using another power cable. Even just now, I took another spare one from a monitor and tried it out, even plugging it into a different outlet. It didn't seem to change anything.

I did try using another power cable. Even just now, I took another spare one from a monitor and tried it out, even plugging it into a different outlet. It didn't seem to change anything.
    Have you discharged the PSU yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Okele View Post
    Have you discharged the PSU yet?
    Yep, but I think I figured it out. I realized that even though I didn't have another power supply to use on this motherboard, that I still had other motherboards that this power supply would work on, to test and see if the power supply was the problem.

So I just tried it on another motherboard. Everything powered up, and booted just fine, got a signal to go to the monitor, am able to access to BIOS, the speaker beeps, everything. So it seems like the problem is the motherboard for sure now. So now I'm guessing I'm just going to completely replace my motherboard.

Should I attempt to go for the same model, or do you guys have a recommendation for a nice motherboard for me to get. Newegg no longer seems to carry my motherboard

What CPU? and what motherboard is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Okele View Post
    What CPU? and what motherboard is it?
    CPU is an Intel core 2 duo e6700, and the motherboard is an Asus P5W DH Deluxe

CPU is an Intel core 2 duo e6700, and the motherboard is an Asus P5W DH Deluxe
    You could check out this page - http://www.evga.com/products/prodlist.asp?switch=20 Should work with everything you have, and be a decent upgrade, not to mention they have a couple under 60.00

I just made some big progress! I tried clearing the CMOS before, but it didn't seem to do anything. This time, I tried again, thinking maybe I didn't do it long enough or something. I removed the battery, and moved the jumper for like, half an hour. Then I plugged in the power supply to the messed up motherboard, attached only the speaker and the power button, had in the cpu, one stick on RAM in the first slot, and the video card (with needed power attached as well), and then hook a monitor up to that, and also decided to plug in a keyboard. I started it all up, and since I plugged in a keyboard I held down the insert key while it was starting up, though I don't know if that helped with anything.

Anyway, the computer actually started up! My BIOS seems to be reset now, it went through POST, the monitor got signal and I was able to see everything and go through the BIOS, and it properly beeped at me and gave me a warning that no hard drive was installed.

So now It's back to me hooking everything back up properly, and seeing what I can do, and see if I fixed this problem for good now. So time for me to get to work and see where I can go from here. I'll update on any progress I make.

Edit: Good news, got everything fully working now. Managed to get into the BIOS, reset everything in there, get everything assembled and put together again, and everything is now powered up and working and performing just fine

I appreciate all the help that was given. I'm just happy now that I won't have to go out and spend any money on new parts or anything.