Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Computer troubles after a power surge

Default Re: Computer troubles after a power surge

But if only the motherboard is the problem (and assuming I can't fix it), then why get a new processor and RAM? The spare processor is a pentium 4. The actual processor I use in my main computer (the one having issues) is a core 2 duo e6700.

For now though, I have my laptop. Though this is no good as a long term solution for me, and it sucks not being able to use anything on my other computer right now.

Quote Originally Posted by DaJe View Post
    The actual processor I use in my main computer (the one having issues) is a core 2 duo e6700.
    Ah, my bad. I thought your main machine was on the P4. Based on that I was assuming older, outdated hardware was running rampant in your rig. I had a P4 3.6Ghz chip like 7 years ago and it was the last P4 model made before the Ds took over. I couldn't imagine trying to run today's software on a 7-10 year old box...thus the recommendation to upgrade. I probably should have just looked at your system information or reread your posts...

But since there are no error beeps I'd say it was the mobo based on personal experience. When my Dell XPS died 5 or 6 years ago it was due to bad caps. The board still got power and everything, but it literally didn't do anything with it. I took it to a professional to have it recapped as all my school work on my RAID 0 drives depended on getting that board working again...it never worked out. (I know, I know, should have backed it up...but I was in denial and had never felt the pain of losing very important data.) Check all of your capacitors with a flashlight. If any of them have even a slightly bulging top it's a sign that they likely are malfunctioning. It could be an easy fix if that's the problem. And if you can solder new caps on, you wouldn't have to spend much money at all.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

I'm going with dead mobo too. Even if the fans spin up, LEDs light, etc. If there are no error beeps with no ram and no cpu installed, mobo is toast.

You do have a speaker connected, right? Just making sure..

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

Looking at everything so far, I don't see any capacitors in particular that seem to have any issues. No bulging or leaking that I've noticed anywhere, though I could also be overlooking something. And yes, I do have a speaker connected to the mother board : P. No speaking connected to the audio jack, but there is certainly one on the motherboard to give me the warning beeps. Maybe I'm just better off at this point with buying a new motherboard.

Have removed the cpu and tried to power the mobo to see if it reports error beeps? If not, do that! That's the final test.. no beeps means the board is toast. If it does, drop the cpu and ram back in and try to power it up again.

I've seen systems the were doing exactly what you described, and removing the cpu and trying to power the board seems to "reset" something. After getting an error code, I'd reseat everything, and the board would work fine. In the cases where it didnt, we replaced the board.

This quick test might save you the cost of buying a new board... and you'll have to remove/reinstall the cpu to the new board anyways..

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro

"Lemme Sho' Ya' Sumtin!!!" - FMB

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Have removed the cpu and tried to power the mobo to see if it reports error beeps? If not, do that! That's the final test.. no beeps means the board is toast. If it does, drop the cpu and ram back in and try to power it up again.

I've seen systems the were doing exactly what you described, and removing the cpu and trying to power the board seems to "reset" something. After getting an error code, I'd reseat everything, and the board would work fine. In the cases where it didnt, we replaced the board.

This quick test might save you the cost of buying a new board... and you'll have to remove/reinstall the cpu to the new board anyways..
    ^Diddo
    Project: Archangel Complete
    Project: Patron W.I.P
    Phenom II X3 710 2.6ghz, MSI 785GTM-E45, 2x2gb Kingston 800mhz, Hitachi 320gb HDD, OCZ StealthXStream 400w

Alright, just tried powering it on with nothing but the power supply plugged straight into the motherboard, and nothing else in it, no cpu or anything. Started up, power went to the motherboard, and still nothing, no beeps or anything. Strangely enough though, I managed to turn it on for a minute or so before I turned it off. However after I turned it back on again, after a few seconds it shut itself off. It's similar to the way it shuts down when the processor overheats. Such as if the processor isn't getting enough cooling, it'll overheat and automatically shut itself down to prevent damage, and if you try to turn it on again right away, it's still hot and shuts down after only a few seconds. That's how this is acting.

Soooo, guess I need a new motherboard now then?

Another problem, is now my heatsink. The damn thing always gave me trouble whenever I tried to put it back on. And now some of the plastic pins that fix it to the motherboard have broken. Anyone know how I can replace those at all? It'd be such a waste to have to buy a new heatsink, but I can't attach it anymore. It's just the stock Intel one.

Im surprised no one has mentioned it, your PSU cable. Replace it.

Quote Originally Posted by Okele View Post
    Im surprised no one has mentioned it, your PSU cable. Replace it.
    Another person suggested to me that is may be the power supply (I don't know why it's so hard to figure it out). Unfortunately any spare power supply I may have lying around does have the extra 4 pins that my motherboard needs (why the hell can I not remember what that's called). So pretty much I guess my power supply uses a 24 pin connector, and every spare power supply I have is only 20 pins.

Will I still be able to connect one of those power supplies to the motherboard and see if anything happens? I just want to make sure I can figure out the exact problem as much as I can before buying a new piece of hardware, if I have to, since funds are a bit limited for myself at the moment.