Thread: How to I install XPDM drivers in Win7?

Default How to I install XPDM drivers in Win7?

XPDM drivers are native to XP-generation versions of Windows (XP, 2K, etc); they won't work at all in Win9x/NT but will generally work (though perhaps less functional, reliable, compatible, and pretty) in Vista/Win7.

Sometimes I get a piece of hardware that's recently fallen into obsolescence, legacy land; for example, the integrated graphics from Intel 800/900 chipsets. XP drivers are available, Vista/Win7 drivers are not. The manufacturers (Intel in this example) discontinued support for their drivers and suggest installing the latest (XPDM) drivers available.

Okay. So how do I actually install them? The setup programs usually refuse to run in any version older (or newer) than XP. The XP-era .inf files can't be manually installed because Win7 doesn't like their format. I've been told that you can't really manually force them to install by adding the files and Registry data where they belong, since Win7 automatically overrides and such things (the downside of a self-monitoring and repairing OS).

I know it can be done. But how?

Default Re: How to I install XPDM drivers in Win7?

run the installer in XP compatibility mode?
    Quote Originally Posted by nevermind1534 View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if somebody sigquotes part of this.

Default Re: How to I install XPDM drivers in Win7?

Thanx, but nope. Tried compatibility mode, tried trusty old mkcomp, tried running XP mode, tried taking ownership and just bloody doing it myself. None of these things worked for me.

I'm assuming there must be something simple I missed, since other people are installing XPDMs without difficulty. Can't find any tutorials or whatnot. And I only have one device (Intel 865G Chipset / Extreme Graphics 2) I'm trying to install (so I can use integrated and AGP video outputs in Win7 on one of the ancient machines I still use) ... so I can't even tell if my driver device/version is just cantankerously incompatible.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.