Thread: How to install cold cathodes (VERY NOOB)

Default How to install cold cathodes (VERY NOOB)

I bought this

I have no idea how to install them in my case

I do realize I am VERY NOOB about case modding

so go easy on me PLZ...

Thanks in advance

Default Re: How to install cold cathodes (VERY NOOB)

Welcome to TBCS!

The black box with the red and black wires is the power inverter. You can either splice them into like colored wires between molex connectors or, for a cleaner look, just put a molex connector on the end of them and plug them in like anything else. Not sure if they came with feet or not, but those can be attached in the case with double-sided tape, then attach the tubes to those. If they didn't come with feet, I suppose you can just tape the tube right to the case...but only as a last resort.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

so I received my cold cathodes yesterday and still hove no idea how to plug it, there is a red wire (+) and a black wire (-)

so here's a molex connector

So what color do I match. At first i thought I should join the yellow wire of the molex with the red wire of my cathodes and the black with one of the two blacks

If i got everything right the yellow is 12v the red is 5v and the two blacks are ground... is this right

basically what I am asking is what wire to I connect together

thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by richardnini View Post
    so I received my cold cathodes yesterday and still hove no idea how to plug it, there is a red wire (+) and a black wire (-)

so here's a molex connector

So what color do I match. At first i thought I should join the yellow wire of the molex with the red wire of my cathodes and the black with one of the two blacks

If i got everything right the yellow is 12v the red is 5v and the two blacks are ground... is this right

basically what I am asking is what wire to I connect together

thanks in advance
    correct, the red of the inverter (black box) to the yellow 12v line of the molex connector and the black of the inverter to either black wire from the molex. that being said it should be that the red line from the inverter is 12v+ it would be very messed up if it wasn't, then again it's kinda weird that it never came with a connection on it.
    CPU: Q6600 G0 3.5GHz@1.4v (4.2GHz max) / 4790k 4.8ghz @1.265v
    GPU: 9800GTX /GTX780 hydrocopper
    Ram: Samsung 4GB /gskill 16gb DDR3 1600
    Mobo: EVGA-NF68-A1 680i (P32) /AsRock Extreme6
    PSU: Enermax Galaxy 850Watt /EVGA 850 G2
    HDD: OCZ 120GB Vertex4, Samsung evo 840 250GB
    LCD: Samsung 32" LN32A450, Samsung 226BW 22" wide
    Sound: Logtiech Z 5500
    CPU & GPU: 3x Swiftech MCR320, 2x MCP655, MCW60 R2, Dtek Fuzion V2, 18 high speed yates @ 5v