Thread: Review..ish : Velleman VTSS5U

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Review..ish : Velleman VTSS5U

So, I was at Microcenter today, and as I was wandering around looking at the cases, and I happened to remember that I needed a new soldering iron (I may have accidentally ripped the heating element out of my old one.. ). ...so I turned around and started looking at the soldering irons instead. I love Microcenter.

Anyways, so, I was looking at a Weller WES51, thinking something along the lines of "Well yeah, it looks quite nice, but I really don't want to spend that much right now ($130)...what with saving every penny for a downpayment/closing costs...though I will get three paychecks next month and that'll help...anyways, where was I? Oh yes, soldering irons.." ..yeah... Anywhoo, long story short, I looked around a bit, trying to convince myself one way or the other, when I saw something interesting. It was a Velleman VTSS5U. Now, I've never heard of Velleman, so I was a little suspicion of the quality, but it was only $20 and looked to have a similar feature set to the WES51, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

So, here we go, the Velleman VTSS5U.

Obligatory unboxing shots:
    The box:

And the stuff inside:

And finally, the assembled product:

Fortunately, despite the picture on the box it did end up being a US-style plug, which is fortunate as I seem to have misplaced my adapter. ...no seriously, I have one around here somewhere...

I haven't really used it yet, just tinned the tip, but so far it is definitely not quite the quality level of a Weller (as expected), but it's much better than the crappy Radio Shack things I've been using up till now.

Some quick stats:
    50W
    175-480C
    analog temperature control
    interchangeable bits

The tip has a nice fine point, but solid fine not fragile fine. Here it is compared to my old 45W Radio Shack iron:

So, as far as I can tell at this point, it looks to be well worth the money. Not as nice as the WES51, most likely, but for $110 cheaper, unless you really need professional quality, I think this'll do. ...especially since it's not much more than my old 15/30W Radio Shack iron.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Local laser guy! Collinstheclown's Avatar

Default Re: Review..ish : Velleman VTSS5U

I own the WES51, and it's an amazing iron. The grip is really nice, and the quality it superb.

The Velleman doesn't look to bad, but I don't like the sponge/stand/power supply all in one like that. The Weller has the stand and sponge as a separate base. Also the temp dial doesn't give you any numerical output on the Velleman.

I think if your a bit tight on cash and need a decent iron the Velleman isn't a bad choice. Also, it's hard to justify $130 for a soldering iron sometimes. lol

As for Velleman itself, they make a lot of soldering project kits.
    http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/pr...ist/?id=523008
    Actually, they make a lot of stuff all together. lol I did a kit when I was in Vo-Tech a few years ago, good stuff.

-CollinstheClown

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

How the hell do you order from their site? lol
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

You don't. You can search for distributors here though:
    http://www.vellemanusa.com/us/enu/dealer/search/
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV