Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Project: Red Comet

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Red Comet

Quote Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
    I already saw that, and take a closer look :http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ge_scroll_id=0
    the neon red is downright terrible(it's almost pink!)
    I wonder if it's like my UV red ACRyan heatshrink; pinkish under normal light, but a vibrant red under UV.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

ok so I just got an email from PPCs saying they're sold out of the NZXT red 24-pin extensions and don't know when they'll have them back. That's ok though, because my PSU and MB are actually 20-pin. so I emailed them back and said delete it and give me 25' of 1/8" red cable sleeving and a black 20+4-pin mobo connector instead. I'll do it myself!! lol I am getting the other extension sleeved at least

And the other 8-pin extension I don't need. I'm taking 4 of the wires for a 4-pin mobo extension and using the other 4 for the molex extension for the HDD

Ok well plans have changed, no more red NZXT extensions. Instead I'll sleeve them individually myself, doing alternating black adn red. that should fit in with the insides (and the black/red plaid fabric) better

should be sweet. This project is looking good! I need to start working on my xbox again... lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Well I just ordered these and these. These will secure the window to the case, the fans to the case, the front plate, LCD and USB ports as well. They should look nice and match the brass endcaps on the case as well

well I went home for lunch and in my mailbox was a box from PPCs

Inside there was 25ft of red 1/8" sleeving, a bunch of black male and female molex connectors with pins, a black 20+4 connector, and a black 4p mobo connector.

I was going to do some sleeving tonight, but I've got a neat cable management idea, so I'm going to toss some ideas around tonight and see what I can come up with!

alright so I was just messing around with layout, etc. The cover I was going to make for the PSU isn't going to happen. The passive cooler I've got on my video card will cover the whole thing and you won't be able to see it. I'm going to do something simple, maybe just a flame-shaped cover out of 1/4" red plexi I've got laying around. I may use the LED flasher to light up some etched flames on the top window instead, we'll see how it all works out though.

For the cable management idea decided to make a couple cable guides out of red plexi to make things neat inside. This will require lengthening the 4-pin mobo wiring as well as the 20-pin wiring.

Details to come

alright, the plan is to make 2 of these to hold the 4-pin and 20-pin mobo cables, and I'll probably design and make more as needed once I start laying out the cables. I'm debating whether or not to put some LEDs in the bases to light them up, basically making the edges glow. We'll see

yay for glowing edges!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    yay for glowing edges!

I think I'm going to have to skip the glowing edges. I was trying to work out a way to get the wiring to the supports neatly, and integrate the LEDs neatly, and I don't think it's going to work too well. I'm still going to play around with some ideas though. Hopefully I can get the pieces water-jet cut so they're all neat and matching