Page 11 of 82 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161 ... LastLast

Thread: Official TBCS Folding Team

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Re: Official TBCS Folding Team

Ok weird question that I think I know the answer to already.

I have 4 PCIe slots... Could I install the other 2 cards I have (Currently running 2 5870 in crossfire and could add 2 8800s non linked.) Would it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    Ok weird question that I think I know the answer to already.

I have 4 PCIe slots... Could I install the other 2 cards I have (Currently running 2 5870 in crossfire and could add 2 8800s non linked.) Would it work?
    I have no idea, but i know that you can run 2 different cards, so i would think so, but you may be limited to 4x speeds
    Not dead yet

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Power may be an issue - those cards will each draw potentially 250w+ EACH - if you're going to be maxxing all 4 out.... ouch.... If you're only going to max out a pair at a time (I'm assuming you game OR fold, not both at the same time) you'll probably get away with a 800w but don't quote me on that, or send me the bill if I'm wrong...

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    Technically, yeah, that would work fine. You might not be able to SLI the 8800's, but you wouldn't want to anyways. The only problem I can see, as slave pointed out, is that the power might be a problem. According to this calculator, your core system should need ~217W max, your 5870's should need ~223W max, and your 8800's should need ~153W (iirc they're 1GB 8800GT's, yes? worst case, with 8800 Ultra's, they would need ~280W max). So, according to that, you would need a ~600-750W PSU, so I think your 800W should be fine. Worst case, it won't be able to push everything and it'll hang.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

I have a second 800w or 1000w or 750w PSU I can hook up. They are both EVGA 8800 GTS 512mb though. Should still pull some PPD.

Well I just completed my first work unit but can not see how many points it added. I am running just the ATI client though. Going to install the tracker later tonight.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

We're at 6212 right now - and it's past my bedtime - I'll leave my machine running CPU on a Q6700, GPU2 on a 4870 and GPU3 on a GTS250 - that's all I can do for now - I'm betting damned good money we'll be well inside the 6000 ranking by the time I climb out of bed cursing the sun for being up too early in about 6 hours....

Night all
    Last edited by slaveofconvention; 03-22-2011 at 09:46 PM.

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

setting up my i7 950 rig with the 2 6870's.
    possibly my corei3 with my 5870, as well.
    might find some other old parts that would do well as well. you never know....
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

mentally overclocked Cale_Hagan's Avatar

Unfortunately, at current it wont work with my 6870 it says. hope gpu3 for ati will be out soon.... maybe trace knows something i don't...
    "The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” -George Carlin

“Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.” -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by DynamoNED
    Any contest that lacks integrity is no contest at all

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Cale, download the FAH tracker (a few posts back) and set it to the ATi R800, it's working perfectly with my 6870