Page 44 of 82 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344454647484954 ... LastLast

Thread: Official TBCS Folding Team

Default Re: Official TBCS Folding Team

Systems should be back up and running full power + 2 extra 9800s!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    Condolences regarding your grandfather. News like that is never easy to take - but it can be even harder when it happened so long ago because you get the double hit of feeling pain at the loss, as well as guilt at not being in touch.

As for the folding - the GPU3 client does use a chunk of CPU power too - if you're on a single core CPU you're probably best off just GPU folding - if you have a multicore CPU, try digging into the settings and see if you can set it to only use all but one of the cores for SMP or CPU folding. You can also change a setting to make the CPU folding less of a background thing - as standard it's pretty much set up to only fold on the CPU when it's doing next to nothing else so the GPU calling for CPU cycles may well knock your CPU folding way down if you don't play around with the settings some...
    Thanks, on both accounts. I will go through and go through the settings sometime along here. It's already cranked through 8 WU's in the few hours its been on. Adding the Q6600 should help a bit.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Sorry to hear about your grandfather, nightrain. Losing loved ones is always tough, especially when nobody bothered to tell you about it..
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    if anyone is gonna build a folding farm they should pick up a few of these, $27 each after MIR

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814500129
    How would these do in SLI?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    How would these do in SLI?
    Doing what? For gaming, not very well. Actually, I'm not sure it would be that cost-effective for folding either. Definitely not at the normal retail price, but maybe not even at the sale price. You can get a GTS450 for as low as $80 (after rebate). According to some searching, the GT220 should put out ~1500-2000 ppd, and the GTS450 should put out ~12,000! 6-8x the performance for 2.5x (after rebates; 1.8x before rebates) the cost? Yeah, bit of a no-brainer there.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162062

EDIT:
    Oh, and cards in SLI don't do as well for folding as those same cards in individual mode.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    Doing what? For gaming, not very well. Actually, I'm not sure it would be that cost-effective for folding either. Definitely not at the normal retail price, but maybe not even at the sale price. You can get a GTS450 for as low as $80 (after rebate). According to some searching, the GT220 should put out ~1500-2000 ppd, and the GTS450 should put out ~12,000! 6-8x the performance for 2.5x (after rebates; 1.8x before rebates) the cost? Yeah, bit of a no-brainer there.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814162062

EDIT:
    Oh, and cards in SLI don't do as well for folding as those same cards in individual mode.
    I'm asking because I have a 8800GS in my wife's PC and I would like to find either 1 better card under $200 or SLI for under $200.

Systems are down again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

I think I got everything working right with FAHTracker. Makes it simpler to have everything there on one window.

I told it to use 3 cores, so that way there's one core left for the gpu stuff and when I'm surfing or whatever. Temps for the GTX280 have settled at 80C after a day of folding. The Q6600 is at 44-54C depending on the core and which are loaded, with this crappy heatsink on. Once I get things back on water when I finish one of these cases, lol, things should drop quite a bit. This is all in a room that is 27C, so not too bad (gotta turn the AC on, didn't realize it was getting so warm until I looked at the temp, then I felt warm).

Edit: Maybe I should put the Q6600 on two cores. Just checked and it's pegging out on all cores and the ppd of the gtx280 is getting creamed. Turned it to two and restarted both and its back up to where it was.

I've got an 8800GTS 320mb sitting here, but my board doesn't have another slot, so out of luck on that one.

I am Jack's smirking revenge. 985323's Avatar

I got both of my 460's oc'd and set towards FAH, so I should start to push ahead now
    Will

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Well I finally got the Tracker to download the CPU client. It did take about 15 tries though. So I have my 2 5870s and a GT240 installed but the 240 will not power up. It works if I place it in the #1 slot but not in the #3. I checked the bios but did not see an option to turn slot 3 on. Is there another setting somewhere I need to turn on?