Page 5 of 82 FirstFirst 123456789101555 ... LastLast

Thread: Official TBCS Folding Team

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Re: Official TBCS Folding Team

Well I have 2 of them. No sli mobo though.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

I have a semi-faulty 8800 - might give that a go - from what I've been told, the problem with the card is likely to be memory related, and folding really doesn't use the video ram so much so I might be able to get away with it.

The bank manager growled at me when I thought about buying that GT440 lol

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

And a big TBCS welcome to the team for..... *drum roll*

Drumthumper - who made a nice 500+ point splash with his first Work Unit....

FYI, that puts us at 8207, up from 8806 when the article was written - that's almost 600 places in just a few days with a handful of members....

I promise that when i get my folding working ill add 2 i5 mobilechips, my quad core, a dual core athlon, an 8800 gt and a 6850 or a 560
    Not dead yet

With the current clients, you'll get hugely higher points from the 560 than the 6850 - the clients are much better optomised for nVidia chips at the moment

gpu client doesn't even work on my 4870x2

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    With the current clients, you'll get hugely higher points from the 560 than the 6850 - the clients are much better optomised for nVidia chips at the moment
    yea... but there's $250 between the 560 and me right now. lol
    Not dead yet

Those PPD numbers look pretty optimistic. Maybe a maximum? No two projects are the same anyway so don't expect to see the same numbers consistently. I've seen my 1090t as high as 14k (once) running all 6 cores but I usually keep it on 5 which nets 6-9k. And my 6870 is usually running around 3-6k...so around 9-15k total.
    I suspect an i7 would actually tear up any AMD like nVidia tears up ATI/AMD at this. Someone here with an i7 and nVidia needs to post some actual PPD numbers.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Congrats all - as of this morning we're in the 7000's (barely heh - 7964) but it's one little milestone down.

I also decided to ignore the wife and bank managers growls (mainly because a customer of mine turned up at the door with some money he owed me) and went out and bought a second GPU mainly FOR folding - I was toying with either a GT420 or GT440 but with this little extra cash, I went for a GTS450 - I've read they're good for in the region of 12,000ppd so hopefully, we'll get a nice jump in production...

I have two AMD PCs at work running a single core CPU client 24/7 although they aren't powerful machines, one a dual core 2.1 and the other a single core 1.8. My main pc has been running SMP on a Q6700 and GPU2 on a 4870 - so far since I started keeping track, about 4 days, I've produced a total of 7309 points - I can't believe this one GPU is likely to do that much in about 7 hours heh - fingers crossed

EDIT:
    Yeah it's official (well as official as anything I say ever gets anyway) - when it comes to folding, Nvidia kicks AMD/ATI's ass - according to this comparison over at toms hardware LINKY - my Radeon 4870 is better in 38/41 tests (and two of those are noise level) than the new GTS250 even with the Nvidia card having double the RAM - but the folding side tells a different story - in the image below, GPU0 is the Nvidia, and GPU1 is the 4870 - the Nvidia is doing well over 4x what the Radeon is....

Last edited by slaveofconvention; 03-20-2011 at 08:45 AM.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

it doesn't support my 6870, oh well