Page 63 of 82 FirstFirst ... 1353585960616263646566676873 ... LastLast

Thread: Official TBCS Folding Team

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: Official TBCS Folding Team

So, if you had a GPU and a dual-core procy, would you be better off with the GPU and the CPU clients?
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

ATX Mental Case RogueOpportunist's Avatar

Well, my C2D desktop gets 4k+ from the CPU and 12k+ from the GPU with the SMP client using both cores for folding... The F@H clients seem to work perfect on Nvidia cards and there is next to no CPU overhead for GPU folding and as such my individual PPD stats didn't change much when I ran GPU or SMP on their own.

If you had an ATI card in a dual core system I guess it would kind of depend on a few different factors but from what I gather (and have read others say) the F@H client does consume a lot of CPU power to fold on an ATI GPU, I'm not really sure if my circumstance is any better or worse than everyone else trying to fold on ATI cards but if I am having problems on a quad core chip I imagine a dual core chip would be just as bad, even if it was clocked higher.

For comparison sake the 5670 I am using is roughly the same as an 8800/9800gt in terms of horsepower, a 9800gt gets somewhere around 5000ppd with next to no CPU usage... My 5670 gets 1k PPD with 30% CPU usage.

For folding I downclocked my C2D to 4ghz (was 4.3) so I could drop the voltage and the GTX460 is running at 900mhz (although it squeals like a pig, dunno if downclocking would help that though) and when running SMP and GPU clients I'm reporting around 16,000 PPD, I had originally setup the CPU and GPU clients without FAH Tracker and although I can't remember my exact numbers I do remember that running with the SMP client did get me double the points off the CPU, the GPU was relatively unchanged.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    So, if you had a GPU and a dual-core procy, would you be better off with the GPU and the CPU clients?
    Right. Keeping with the [cores]-1 rule of thumb, that would limit the CPU folding to a single core. IDK if there's any performance difference between the CPU client and the SMP client only using one core though....maybe you should test that?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Finally putting up real numbers! Here comes FUGA!!

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

This weekend is officially Modder Hunting Weekend for the TBCS team heh - according to this....

We'll overtake both Modders Inc and MODTHEBOX by the end of the weekend

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Nice!

Unlocked/Overclocked/Never Stock

The good news: I bought a computer off Craigslist with a EVGA GTX 460 and an AMD Phenom II X4 945 for an excellent price, so expect my numbers to come up significantly as soon as I get it prepped for folding. (I'm expecting slightly less than double my current PPD, since I'm already running a Palit GTX 460 and an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T folding on 4 cores.)

The bad news: I've been having some weird behavior out of FAH GPU Tracker - when my GTX 460 has finished its last 5-6 work units, it claims it's still working until I manually stop the client and restart it. I confirmed this after looking through the log files - apparently it's having trouble communicating with the results server. May just be my connection going a bit sideways, but I'd rather play it safe. I think I'm going to take my machine offline for the next few hours to let it "rest" and see if that helps. If anyone has any suggestions, though, they are appreciated.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...e.php?u=555808

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    In my experience the vast majority of "tech problems" are ID-10-T errors, usually caused by a nut loose on the keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    This weekend is officially Modder Hunting Weekend for the TBCS team heh - according to this....

We'll overtake both Modders Inc and MODTHEBOX by the end of the weekend
    heh... might have to go hijack my parents computers again...
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

w00tz! I passed 1.5 million at some point this morning!

Also, I noticed that today we'll be passing Modders-Inc and Dell.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

We have some competition now. AUFolding will pass us in 1.4 weeks. We need more folders!!!