Thread: Non invasive w/c loop priming

Default Non invasive w/c loop priming

I bought one of those 2.5/3.5 to USB adapters so I could salvage some pictures from the HD in my wife's old computer. Since then, I've used the AC adapter (which has a molex plug on the end) to prime my w/c loop with the PC itself off. Then, in the middle of a fit of insanity (or was it insomnia?)...it hit me..

I could use a DPDT switch to select either primary PSU power or the small adapter PSU to power the pump. I figure with the DPDT switch, it's either primary or priming PSU with no risk of over powering or shorting anything.

Throw in some strategically placed drain and fill ports, and you could flush your w/c loop, refill, and prime without ever opening your case.

Default Re: Non invasive w/c loop priming

That's insanity. Why would you want to NOT open your case? This is mind boggling and dangerous thinking. I'll check with the TBCS Elders, but we may have to 'contain' you to keep this sort of thinking from ravaging the minds of innocent modders everywhere.

It should work though.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

lol nice

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Sounds interesting but I gotta ask...why would you want to drain your WC loop if you're not planning on opening the case?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

That way I can include my step kids in the designing and building of the case without the risk of damaging anything.

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Cant build a case with out the doors open and you should take the drain and fill time to inspect your loop for fatigue and signs of failure. If you run anything other than distilled water+ algecide your loop will need a decent cleaning. I have had Fesser One running in my loop for 2 months and its already clogging up the CPU block.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oneslowz28 View Post
    If you run anything other than distilled water+ algecide your loop will need a decent cleaning. I have had Fesser One running in my loop for 2 months and its already clogging up the CPU block.
    As always, I feel obligated to offer the counter-experience. I have been running Feser One in my loop for over a year and have had no ill effects beyond a slight staining of my Tygon tubing (though not my Primoflex, interestingly). I have no clue why so many other people have problems with it and I don't, but there you have it. YMMV.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

maybe the same paranormal reasons why I had zero problems with my Tt LC setup and everyone else says they're nothing but trouble and don't work well lol

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

I too had no problems with my TT WC setup. Its been running in my server 24/7 with 2 copper blocks, copper rad, and 2 aluminum reservoirs for months now and no signs of corrosion anywhere.

It truly is one of those things. I have ran copper cored radiators on my car with aluminum heads many times and no corrosion has taken place, I know it does and will happen eventually though as science is never wrong.
    Last edited by Oneslowz28; 10-01-2010 at 03:17 PM.

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

I'm with X88X on the Feser 1. I've had it since May of 2010, and while I've flushed and refilled the system a couple of times since then, I haven't actually cleaned the waterblocks. I too haven't noticed any issue beyond slight staining of the Tygon tubing. I've seen in many forums folks have had clogging issues, I don't know why mine hasn't. Or at least if it has, it's not affecting my temps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)