Thread: carbon fiber questions

Default carbon fiber questions

I want to use some CF in a case mod this winter, i have a few questions. i want to use it for a case floor, and a drive bay rear cover, as well as in a few other places on a case. some of it will just be laid on to the underlying parts, while other parts will be (hopefully) laid down as their own pieces. can anyone help with 1) where to buy CF ( i dont think ill need a lot) 2) how to make it stick to stuff, 3) how to make a "board like" piece, and 4) how to work it when its hard
    Not dead yet

Default Re: carbon fiber questions

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    4) how to work it when its hard
    *cough*

anyone?

THATS WHAT SHE SAID!!!!

BAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus Technochicken's Avatar

If you want to mold the CF into your own shapes, you can get rolls of CF cloth of ebay, and then get some 2 part epoxy resin to go with it (I personally like West Systems Epoxy). If you just want sheets of it, you can buy these pre-formed and then cut them to size. Carbon Fiber is pretty easy to cut and grind with a dremel or saws, even once it is hard. As for how to make it stick to stuff, you can do that the same way you would get any two things to stick together- screws and glue.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

you can get solid sheets on ebay and cut them as technochicken said, or also like he said get the cloth and resin and make it any shape you want (like craigbru's current mod). I laid up my own when I made rockin case as well. You can also get very thin (single layer) adhesive-backed carbon fiber on ebay (make sure you get the real stuff and not the fake stuff)

I've purchased a little carbon fiber weave from Soller Composites - after being inspired by an episode of How It's Made which showed how to make carbon fiber autobody parts. It's not really that difficult, but you need to have/make some basic equipment and know what you're doing and work with a variety of nasty chemicals. (Polyurethane resins, adhesives, etc - there's probably lots of different formulas and options, depending on intended application.)

My results were kind of mixed, apparently pretty good for a first attempt (so I've been told) but not really what I had been expecting/hoping to get.

A friend turned my leftover carbon weave into my lightweight and nearly indestructible multi-tool pouch, booya. Apparently it's not difficult to sew (by machine), at least not until it reaches a certain thickness.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

Check any place that makes artificial limbs or orthopedic braces.