Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lot of issues with my desktop "I've got 99 problems..."

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Lot of issues with my desktop "I've got 99 problems..."

Hmm, ok, they're pretty good. I'm gonna say it's likely not a PSU problem then. ...unless this one is bad too.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Just out of curiosity would mismatched RAM be a possible cause? I forgot but my RAM 4x 1gb sticks, two have larger heat sinks but otherwise the RAM sticks had all the same specs. I could see that maybe causing some of the performance issues, but not the issue with tripping breakers.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus Technochicken's Avatar

I have mismatched ram, and have had no issues with it. If you do think the ram is the problem, run Memtest. Have you done all the usual PC cleanup stuff, like updating drivers, clearing out temp folders, and, most importantly, running and antivirus scan and malwarebytes? Who knows, it may be a malware problem. Also, try clocking your CPU down to stock speeds if it is overclocked and see what happens. I've had issues with SATA devices because of an unstable overclock.

I was running the mismatched RAM without issues, when I set it up I had run Memtest and tweaked the bios settings for the RAM. I keep up on the general cleanup stuff, will run a good test of it. I haven't over-clocked at all so should be any issues there. I did pull half the RAM (so only matched sticks now) and reassembled the computer with only the hardware it needs to boot and it seems to be running somewhat stable. So maybe it was the RAM, at any rate the computer is about 3 years old now so I'm thinking of building a new system around a Phenom II X4 970 BE once I save up some money.
    In Progress An Updated (Mac) Classic
    Completed Performa, BOX
    Hiatus Highrise
    Upcoming NightShift
    Cancelled Dell XPS, Framed, Busy