Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting about time to upgrade the old trusty x2...

Default getting about time to upgrade the old trusty x2...

as the title says, its getting about time to upgrade my system. My x2 4200+ is starting to show its age in video games (as is my 8600gts ).

I am most likely gonna get a Phenom II x4 965 black edition... unless someone can talk me into an Intel of similar pricing that would be a better processor.

anyways, I am needing recommendations for motherboards. Not looking to spend oodles of money on this, and I prefer MSI motherboards' looks to most other boards but wouldn't be opposed to a different brand if someone has had excellent experience.

or, alternately, should I upgrade my GPU and HDD to a better GPU and SSD? what do you think would net me the best performance increase for my money?

discuss.

EDIT: I should add that I am a broke college student/single parent, so I will be probably piecing the new system together slowly, and will be eventually upgrading everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Re: getting about time to upgrade the old trusty x2...

I love my 965. There is no better processor for the same price. As for a motherboard, I can not say enough good things about Gigabytes 890 series. I have the GA-890FXA-UD5 and with that board you will hit 4+ GHz on the 965 on air. With that CoolIT you might hit 4.5GHz.

Stupidity feeds my children blueonblack's Avatar

Stick with AMD. Be strong, brother!

I use the MSI 785GTM-E45 with a Phenom II 940 and love it. It will be hard to beat for $70.
    “Do not trust people like me. I will take you to museums, and parks, and monuments, and kiss you in every beautiful place, so that you can never go back to them without tasting me like blood in your mouth. I will destroy you in the most beautiful way possible, and when I leave you will finally understand why storms are named after people.”

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

With the price of hardware these days I can't wait to build my next rig... I just have tons of other priorities on my hands atm.
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Have you checked out your current motherboards BIOS status? I just updated the BIOS on my media centre which is a little over 2 years old (Asus M3N/H-HDMI AM2+) - and it'll now take CPU's up to Phenom IIX6 1090T (6 core, 3.2Ghz) - I have no plans to upgrade as it is just a media centre but it might be worth you checking out before you lay out money on a new board

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

its a crappy Asus-made-for-HP mATX board. lol it does the job, but has ZERO overclocking abilities. Although I will check that out, would be nice to be able to buy the proc, then save up for a nicer board.
    ber is id elicous

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

You could always go the other way - get the board and put your old processor in while you save for that - I appreciate you won't get the performance boost immediately (well you may well get some, depending on O/C and board performance) but it's one way of slowing down the purchase rate if it helps. The other thing is that boards tend not to go down in price so much - they get replaced too quickly by the next model at the same price - CPUs however are a totally different animal - waiting a month or two before buying a CPU will almost definitely either save you $$ or get you more Mhz for your $$

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Unless you get a crazy deal on something I wouldn't recommend buying hardware too far apart. If it's going to take you a couple of months to save up for something else, just wait and buy it later on all together. It will likely be cheaper by then and you'll save money on combined shipping if applicable.
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

Just noticed that the gigabyte 890 you have CJ is on sale at newegg for 169 free shipping. might just snag that for now like slave said and upgrade to the phenom next month.

on the topic of SSDs, should I A: buy a smaller capacity one ~40gb for my OS, or save up for a bigger one to put games and such on it? if I save up for a bigger capacity I will most likely put it off until next year when tax returns come. I am getting pretty disgusted with the load time on my (really slow and almost full) 250gb xp drive.

I have a win 7 professional license I got through school and will be using that.
    ber is id elicous

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    on the topic of SSDs, should I A: buy a smaller capacity one ~40gb for my OS, or save up for a bigger one to put games and such on it? if I save up for a bigger capacity I will most likely put it off until next year when tax returns come. I am getting pretty disgusted with the load time on my (really slow and almost full) 250gb xp drive.
    Another possibility is to get a small one now, then get an identical one later when you have the money and set them up in a RAID-0. Not only do you get immediate benefits, but you also get an additional performance boost once you get the second (or third ) one. Of course, you don't get TRIM support if you're running a RAID, so there are trade-offs, but imo it's worth it (obviously, since that's what I'm running ).
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV