Thread: first post from new Rig!!

Default first post from new Rig!!

Alright every one this is the first post from the new rig. Althought there are no mods as of yet there has to be some soon!!!

The Rig:
    P4 3.0ghz 775 800fsb
    Asus P5WD2 mobo
    x1300 pro PCIE
    80gig SATA
    160 gig PATA
    512 ram (pre OC'd also soon to get upgraded)

after about 3 months of trying to get this damn thing to work. I fnally got it!!! Oh by the way DONT EVER EVER EVER Order a mobo from Best buy! i got the Abit AL8-V and it didnt work well they were nice enough to let me exchange it, but the didnt have another one in store! so they gave me a gift card! i wnt online to get it on march 8th. The item was placed on back order and they said it would be here by the end of the month. well as pissed as i was i let it go waited til TODAY! Nothing no mobo. I went to the store and asked them if they carried the mobo. THE CLERK REPLIED NO! she said we dont carry that brand any more! so the online jerks we going to let me wait on a mobo that was never coming!!! So i spoke to the manager and got the gift card refunded to me in cash! i went over to a local shop and got the ASUS P5WD2. this board is sooooooo much better then the AL8-V. i going to bench test it and give results soon.

As of right now i have a bt of a problem! The CPU is running about 60C and its a bit of a prblrm for me seeing as how all the other computer run at about 35C so i dont know what do i have the CPU fan the Intake fan and the exhuast fan. Should i cut the side and put some plexi glass and the put a fan there? or get some water cooled?? i would like to water cool but i dont have that kind of money! any way let me know!
    All your base are belong to us.

Default Re: first post from new Rig!!

Try touching the heatsink while it's running, or just after turning off. It should be quite warm, almost the same 60 degrees as the CPU. If it's not, the CPU isn't making good thermal contact with it. If it is warm, than the fans aren't doing their job.

Got any pictures?

thermal paste thermal paste thermal paste lol i thought intel cpus are supposed to be cool use some thermal paste if you havnt when you are playing a game the cpu will explde and yur computer will be a ball of flames lol then you will have to upgrade your mobo again from that crappy shop lol

yeah that crappy shop is best buy and i will never ever go there for parts again!! they are really unreliable! yeah so when i get home from work i am going to try touching the heat sync, and see what happens i havent tried any games yet i am kinda afraid to! i will post pictures soon.

it was probly cats trying to take over your cpu and it overheated because he cant talk properly

Anodized

try getting a new cpu fan. i have never worked with water cooling, and from my perspective its probally only good for looks and/or extereme overclocking. chances are you have the generic intel fan on it. generic intel fans are typically really bad are far as heat is concerened.

Resident Alcoholic

p4s run prettyhot but they have a diode (this might not be the right word!) in them which slows them down if it gets too hot. It is therefore, pretty hard to blow up a p4.
    What cooler are you using on it at the moment?
    If it will fit in your case, I reccomend a thermaltake beetle. Mine ran my p4 3.0ghz @ 3.6Ghz @ 29C idle. They are VERY big, however.
    Good luck!
    H

well right now i have the regular heat sync and fan on it... i am thinking the thermal grease isnt makeing a good connection at all!

Quote Originally Posted by justleftlife
    well right now i have the regular heat sync and fan on it... i am thinking the thermal grease isnt makeing a good connection at all!
    That's the first thing I'd check. While the standard heatsink and fan can always be improved on, it ought to be good enough for a standard installation.
    I had one which was overheating once, turns out the manufacturer had put a warranty sticker on the CPU, and part of it was on the area which connects to the heatsink...