Thread: Good parametric mechanical CAD program for <=$200?

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Good parametric mechanical CAD program for <=$200?

So, like the title says, I'm looking for a good parametric CAD program for around or under $200 (obviously cheaper is better, with similar features, but the max I want to go is ~$200). I started working on some designs for a new project and, well, SketchUp just isn't cutting it. Yes, I know I'm not the greatest at SketchUp, but there are certain limitations that no amount of skill is going to overcome...like it being a non-parametric system.

I'm currently running a 14-day trial of Alibre Design Pro, and am seriously considering buying Expert (has motion and CAM export functionality) for the educational price of $200.

Now, I know that through JourneyEd, and probably other sites as well, I can get educational versions of SolidWorks and Inventor for ~$200 as well, but both of those have limited use periods. Inventor locks out after five years, and SolidWorks locks out after one! Alibre only gives me updates and support for one year, but never locks me out of the program itself.

So, any thoughts?

Incidentally, regardless of what I decide on, I've been quite impressed with Alibre so far. The base version is only $99 to anyone, so even without an educational discount it's feasible for the home experimenter, and while it doesn't have all of the features of Pro, it's great value for money and worlds better than SketchUp or any of the other free CAD programs I've tried (which, granted, isn't a whole lot).
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default Re: Good parametric mechanical CAD program for <=$200?

I use Alibre and love it. If you sign up for their news letter they will mail you a $50-$75 off coupon every other month or so.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Oh goody, someone who's brain I can pick when I get stuck with it.

I'm thinking I'll go ahead with Alibre. For any students who might be thinking of getting it, buy it directly through them, not through JourneyEd or something. If you buy it through them you get a bunch of training videos with it for free ($150 value if you believe their sales reps).
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Just as I post this I get an email from them notifying of a price increase. The good news is that it comes with a free upgrade to Alibre 2011 when its released in Jan.

You can pick my brain somewhat. The only thing I am not very good with is the sheet metal functions. There are some pretty cool plugins for it too like Alibre to Sketchup converters, Alibre to STL converters and other similar things.