Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 LGA 1366 Motherboard

Default Review: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 LGA 1366 Motherboard

A new story entry has been added:

[drupal=569]Review: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 LGA 1366 Motherboard[/drupal]

By: Trace Hagan

The latest arrival from Gigabyte is a GA-X58A-UD5 1366 motherboard. Gigabyte has long been known for their 2 ounce of copper per board promise. Lately, Gigabyte's boards have been breaking Futuremark Vantage records. So what does this board hold in store for a Core-i7 980x? Read on to find out just how well this performs.
    Last edited by Oneslowz28; 10-30-2010 at 08:45 AM.

Default Re: Review: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 LGA 1366 Motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by Trace
    The color scheme isn't my favorite, but it isn't terrible at the same time. It is better than some boards I have seen.
    Exactly. It's bad when someone who is partially colorblind, such as myself, can plainly see that colored pieces have been drawn out of a hat before being placed on a board. This board has a color-theme at least. But orange SATA cables, Gigabyte?..Were they on sale?

This board was in my 'final 3' when I was looking for a new i7 board. One of the GENE's big brothers beat it out in my comparisons though...Rampage III Formula, which is probably the board this should have been benched against.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

These boards have a great reputation, and it looks like this one lives up to it...

I actually quite like orange and blue colour schemes, as it happens too

I liked the review too, though one thing - the scales on the graphs are somewhat misleading, espcially when there are only two values being displayed. While I am sure this is not the case here, these are like the scales you see in adverts where one manufacturer is trying to make some advantages look huge and some disadvantages seem insignificant.

As most people don't have access to expensive edition CPUs, it would be nice to see some test of maximum base clock too.

Quote Originally Posted by Blibbax View Post
    I liked the review too, though one thing - the scales on the graphs are somewhat misleading, espcially when there are only two values being displayed. While I am sure this is not the case here, these are like the scales you see in adverts where one manufacturer is trying to make some advantages look huge and some disadvantages seem insignificant.

As most people don't have access to expensive edition CPUs, it would be nice to see some test of maximum base clock too.
    Yeah, the scales are probably messed up because there are only 2 boards so there is only going to be a high and a low. This means that TBCS needs to con more boards out of all the manufacturers to review them next to each other. I know this isn't a review site, but after someone mods the perfect case, they need to know the perfect hardware to go inside it!

Maximum base clock? Are you meaning overclocked lower-end CPUs? I don't think the benches were performed with this chip overclocked.

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Yeah, the scales are probably messed up because there are only 2 boards so there is only going to be a high and a low. This means that TBCS needs to con more boards out of all the manufacturers to review them next to each other. I know this isn't a review site, but after someone mods the perfect case, they need to know the perfect hardware to go inside it!

Maximum base clock? Are you meaning overclocked lower-end CPUs? I don't think the benches were performed with this chip overclocked.
    Sorry, I meant in the overclocking page - you only test the board's overclocking ability with an EE CPU - so for all you know this board could have a base clock ceiling of 150mhz. Not saying it does, just would be nice to see some kind of test of how far it will go, as this is perhaps more important for the average user who doesn't have an unlocked multiplier to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Blibbax View Post
    Sorry, I meant in the overclocking page - you only test the board's overclocking ability with an EE CPU - so for all you know this board could have a base clock ceiling of 150mhz. Not saying it does, just would be nice to see some kind of test of how far it will go, as this is perhaps more important for the average user who doesn't have an unlocked multiplier to play with.
    Good point. I'm sure the board would be willing to clock faster than the chip would. C'mon Trace, hook us up with a maxed out bclock if you still have this hardware set up. You know you want to!

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I didn't see a video card in the specs?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

It was a 9800GTX+

I will test the max bclock for you guys tomorrow! I apologize that I left it out
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Nice job on the review.

I'm with you on the orange cables...wtf??

It's like wearing a blue suit with big orange clown shoes on
    Life is tough, it's even tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne

Another great review. Unfortunately this is out of my $ rangefor awhile.

Personally I like the blue/orange combo. It reminds me of the Gulf Oil race carsfrom the 60's and 70's. Not that I'm that old, just love old race cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field