Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help an "old computer junky" out.

Default Re: Help an "old computer junky" out.

Yeah I thought I had fully updated my profile but I didn't, I am at 4 gigs. Good points guys. I didn't get to check out what motherboard I'm running, I'm in the middle of a torque tube rebuild on one of my cars so I'm a bit busy but tonight I will dig back into it and find out.

I got a bunch of new power tools here recently... so I'd like to get back into modding, hehe.

If it isn't stock, it's modded! slaveofconvention's Avatar

Actually, the 4400 was AM2 (I thought it was 939) so with a bios update you could have a whole wealth of options. I just updated the bios on my media centre the other week and that can now take pretty much any of the current lineup - think it's running a 5200 at the moment (but really not sure) - whatever is in it, I actually have it UNDERclocked - less heat - less cooling required, less noise....

Yes I said it, I have an UNDERclocked PC lol

Current Projects: Lobo | Unimatrix | High Voltage | Antec 900 Revamp (Phase 2)
    Completed Projects: General Lee | Synergy Green | Liquid Yellow
    Planned Projects: K-9-PC | Limey

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slaveofconvention View Post
    Yes I said it, I have an UNDERclocked PC lol
    Blasphemy!!!!!

Nah, it's tougher to keep an underclocked CPU stable than overclocked. Migration and such. Interesting reading out there on it.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

I'm gonna go both sides on this issue. Either way though, I would recommend upgrading to Windows 7 and doing a clean install.

On the one hand, given the hardware you have and the resolutions you're working with, you shouldn't be having any problems. The fact that you are says to me that you have a software or driver issue.

On the other hand, if you're going to upgrade anyway, do what Trace said, basically. You might need a new PSU for that though, but tbh, if you're upgrading that much stuff I would get a new PSU just on general principles.

The one additional thing I would recommend that hasn't been mentioned yet is this...upgrade your hard drive. It sounds like you're running on a pretty old drive (not still that IDE, I hope?), and the HDD is about the only component in a computer that will actually decrease in actual performance (ie, not because of new, higher hardware usage) over time. They just wear out, nothing you can do about that.

So, if you don't necessarily want to buy a whole new system, I would get a new HDD, do a clean install of Windows 7, and you should be good. If you do want to buy a whole new system, like Trace said, Phenom II x6 (the 1055T would be my recommendation) or x4 (Newegg has a 940 OEM chip for $95 that'll do you just fine), 8GB of RAM, new HDD, new PSU, new motherboard if you want, and new mid-end GPU (I would go for a Radeon 5750), and you'll be set for several years.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

You don't need really anymore than 4GB of RAM. 8GB is pretty overkill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trace View Post
    You don't need really anymore than 4GB of RAM. 8GB is pretty overkill.
    Says the man who recommended a 6-core CPU.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

6-core is future proofing. You can always add in those extra 2 2GB sticks later. Besides, he needs the CPU for encoding and editing. The RAM, not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothair View Post
    I guess it's just widely used and has had some of the best people in the world work on it, costing a ridiculous amount of money, for no actual reason. :/
    Have you checked out the front page lately?
    Projects:
    Moe's Tavern | Sponsored by: Mimo Monitors, Crucial, Thermaltake
    Book Of Knowledge

I honestly think that any GPU beyond an 8800 is overkill for low resolution RTS gaming. CPU/HDD upgrades would be money much better spent.

Best to rule out any software issues with a clean install of Windows etc. before burning money though. If he can't watch HD movies without stuttering, we know there's something wrong with that PC.

Defrag the hdd.. particularly if you are watching ripped HD videos.

\m/ d(-_-)b \m/

R9 290X+Kraken+Corsair H90, Xeon 5649@4ghz, Asus P6T-WS Pro