Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help an "old computer junky" out.

Default Re: Help an "old computer junky" out.

that is a good question. phenom II x4 or x6? lol I was asking myself that just earlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Quote Originally Posted by Luke122 View Post
    Defrag the hdd.. particularly if you are watching ripped HD videos.
    No, the HD videos are music videos and such. The regular DVD movies we watch are just plopped in the drive and watched. Good point though, maybe a driver issue? I dunno, I even wrote a batch file to kill all processes but the bare essentials. Things run quite smooth in that mode, i call it "gaming mode" but even lately it seems just not like it used to be. Even after defrag. Although looking at today's video cards, it would appear I am not quite up to par... it's a 512mb card.

BTW motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3

not gonna lie, after a defrag my system ran 1k times better. I think on older systems you notice it a lot more. defraggler is a good one to use
    ber is id elicous

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CorsePerVita View Post
    No, the HD videos are music videos and such.
    These wouldn't happen to be streamed HD videos, would they? Because in that case I point a giant, condemning finger at your internet connection. I constantly have problems with caching on my crappy little 3Mbps DSL line. ...I am sooo looking forward to FiOS...
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    These wouldn't happen to be streamed HD videos, would they? Because in that case I point a giant, condemning finger at your internet connection. I constantly have problems with caching on my crappy little 3Mbps DSL line. ...I am sooo looking forward to FiOS...
    No, downloaded videos. I work for the ISP, so it's my job to make sure the internet has a kickass connection lol. Download speeds are happy These are mostly videos downloaded over a while when bands post them up and stuff and I go "OH i need to get that". Not a lot of them. But it's nice to watch them when I feel like it. Although I kind of wonder if maybe they didn't download right on some of them which is possible.

But overall I've noticed it just oddly sort of skips the video. For instance, the audio is excellent. The video will suddenly stop, then go back and be matching the lyrics, or it'll stop, then suddenly move in fast forward x11 to "catch up". Realllly weird. Only does it on the huge resolution videos where it would take up both monitors. "High quality" seems fine, regular videos are fine. 720 resolution is "okay" but sometimes does it, and 1080 is "WTF?"

Could be my video card perhaps, or the drivers? I wiped out the drivers and reinstalled with the latest version, still does it the same. Really really strange.

what are your temps in your system? just curious as you are running stock cooling on your CPU. I also have stock cooling on my system and after taking a fan out that was running on 12v (sounded like a jet engine) I have noticed my temps increasing enough that when I watch netflix in HD it sometimes causes a hiccup where I never had a problem before. Just a thought?
    ber is id elicous

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

What media player/codec are you using? It almost sounds like it might just be a codec problem. When you play 1080p (1920x1080) videos on your dual 17" monitors (2560x1024), it has to compress the output to a smaller resolution than it is supposed to be, which in my experience will often create artifacts or strange behaviour like you are describing.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Although looking at today's video cards, it would appear I am not quite up to par... it's a 512mb card.
    Dude, this is so incredibly not important

Yes, the 8800GT isn't up to the standards of modern day high end cards.

This means that playing the latest games at 5760x1080 is going to be an issue for you. This does not, however, mean that playing HD movies should be an issue. The very latest in media centre GPUs (e.g. GT430) are no match for the power of a gaming card even as old as yours.

And the amount of memory you have is kinda insignificant... 128MB is ample for even the most taxing video playback duties, and even the latest games don't need more than that at 1280x1024.

You definitley, certainly, absoloutely have a "something is not working as it should" issue. I repeat my reccomendation of a fresh Windows installation with new drivers. Remember, also, to use a media player with hardware acceleration...

If you're worried about loosing your current installation, you could always create a new one on another partition/drive just to see if it helps...

alright, fair enough. i shall do so when i get the time.

alright, fair enough. i shall do so when i get the time.
    Let us know how it goes