Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I need thermal tape

Default Re: I need thermal tape

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    ill tell you a secret... a doughnut of AS5 or any other thick thermal paste will create a vaccum seal for ram sinks. lol.. thats how i attach mine. just a dot, then stick it down, swish it around, so long as you dont touch it alot it holds quite well.
    AS5 looks rather explicit when reading it in gmail on my incredible.. I actually have some of this as its the only thing rat shack stocks. I will try it before I order anything.
    Regedit'ed, Rooted, and Jailbroke anymore questions?
    Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

I use as5 on the center with a dab of superglue on the corners. Removeable and excellent transfer.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Quote Originally Posted by Kayin View Post
    I use as5 on the center with a dab of superglue on the corners. Removeable and excellent transfer.
    well here is where I sit.. the four gray chips at the top were not in contact with the stock heatsink but this seems odd to me but what do i know. How well does the superglue disconnect when needed?

Here’s a bumper sticker I’d like to see: “We are the proud parents of a child who’s self-esteem is sufficient that he doesn’t need us promoting his minor scholastic achievements on the back of our car.”

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

I would not recommend thermal paste as an alternative myself because it can run onto the main PCB and can cause shorts which will fry your card. The superglue trick does work as Kayin said though, just a tiny drop on 2 diagonal corners will hold the sink flat for you. If it needs removing just twist the sink and it should pop right off. I have done it once before myself and used a needle to dab on the glue. You could also use the end of a staple or a paperclip.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08

I can't imagine AS5 running anywhere fast but I will keep all this in mind and maybe try it this weekend.

If thermal grease shorting out the card worries you just go for the ones with graphite instead of metal in them.
    Projects: RGB Tower - Custom CPU water block

Watching someone else use your computer is like watching a drunk orangutan solve a rubix cube. They have no idea what they're doing and you just wish they'd hand you the damn thing so you can do it yourself.
    -TheOatmeal

Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive (Review at Overclocker Cafe)

3M (expensive, maybe the best)

Parker Chomerics THERMATTACH T404, T405, T405-R and T412 Thermal Tapes (sold by the roll, expensive, but you can Request a Sample)

And of course there's always the Radio Shack stuff; cheap, quick, and dirty. Better than nothing.

Side note - I'll admit that Kayin's trick is something I've never tried before, but I wouldn't personally go for SuperGlue (cyanoacrylate-based) adhesives, I'd try a few little dabs of common potting compound (epoxy resin) because it adheres well enough, it's typically engineered with minimal thermal interface/expansion considerations in mind (it's specially made for electronic applications), and it's probably a helluva lot easier to remove with chemical solvents that don't do (much) damage to PCBs.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

The cyanoacrylate is meant to only be dabbed at the corners-I've never had a ramsink fall off that way, and since the majority of the bond is TIM, it seems to work very well.

The 3M stuff is excellent, but it costs an arm, a leg, and a more unmentionable part.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Kayin i seem to remember you have some TIM that needs tested what is the viscosity of that stuff haha? I am just shooting around ideas because I couldnt find the super glue and been to lazy to do it honestly.

Project: Elegant-Li The boy 4rm oz's Avatar

Why not just buy this?
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Sekisui-5760-...item4aa29b8757
    This is the same stuff I used on those sinks I sent you. works great. Japanese made and the auction is located in the US so shipping should be dirt cheap, only a few dollars.
    Project: Elegant-Li *NEW*
    Project: Alpha FINISHED
    Project: LEXA Revival FINISHED
    Project: LEXA FINISHED Bit-Tech MOTM Nominee October 08