Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Laptop!

Default 1st Laptop!

I've been forced to work in a crummy job with a lot of downtime and have decided to look into purchasing a laptop to take advantage of the wifi and help pass time, through some help of a coworker I've set my sights on a $800 Toshiba from newegg http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834214044 and would like some feed back!
    one of my roommates has noted the 5400rpm hard drive but I was thinking of looking for a smaller SSD later on (500gb is more than I'd need) and I have the option to upgrade to 8g ram if I ever needed too.
    I guess I'm just looking for some feedback from those far more computer literate than I on making sure this is a good purchase and see if anyone has managed to find a better deal.

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Default Re: 1st Laptop!

looks great to me, it has a dedicated graphics card, while not the highest end it'll certainly play todays games with decent frame rates.

don't jip over the 5,400rpm drive, there isn't that big of a difference between 7,200rpm and 5,400rpm. you really want to pay attention to the amount of cache the hard drive has (anywhere from 16MB upto 64MB, more the better)

i'd buy it if you cant comb around and find something with even better specs for the same price.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

How good is that video card?
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

that mobility radeon should be pretti good, heres a nice benchmark chart: http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mob...0.23697.0.html

That toshiba looks like a good deal. The 5650 should do rather nicely. I have a dell with a 4650 in it and it will play most of what I throw at it. I think the newest game that I played on it was MW2, and then I got my desktop.

The SSD would be a better upgrade than adding 4GB of ram depending on what you do. My laptop has a Core i7 420? i think but my AMD 555 dual core runs laps around it at everyday tasks. The big difference being the ssd. YMMV

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

Yep, nevermind. My wife's lappy has a 5400 and it's quite capable
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Looks pretty good to me. My only complaints would be the display resolution and the strange keyboard layouts that Toshiba seems to be so fond of using. The HDD will be slower than a 7200RPM drive, but if you're just using it for normal, everyday stuff and some light gaming, it shouldn't be a problem.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Purchased it today with help from the GF, after drawing up some contracts and speaking to her lawyers I am indebted to her for all eternity... but at least I got a nifty laptop! ^_^

P.S. don't tell her but I already sold my soul to Satan for a delicious fruitcake, ah to be young and naive!

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Techno_Savage View Post
    I am indebted to her for all eternity...
    I feel like that happened a while ago, eh?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Toshiba Satellites are built by Quanta. They tend to have really solid build quality (and can survive a couple of drops) but all the add-on "offboard" tech features (camera, wlan, bt, card slots) tend to require very finicky Windows drivers. I'm not fond of the Chicony keyboard layouts, personally, but you gotta make compromises when you pack a notebook. Pricing tends to be definitely average.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.