Thread: File Share Issues In Vista & XP

Default File Share Issues In Vista & XP

I've got the biggest headache over this.

I've got 5 computers on my network, 3 run on XP, one on Vista 64 and the other is Vista 32. I've set up the network correctly, every computer can see each other. All are in the same workgroup with uniqe ID's. All computers have File Sharing turned on and "should" be ready to swap files.

This is a bit tricky to explain, i'll do my best and if you need more info i'll be glad to help you help me.

My main rig runs Vista 64. This computer can open the main sharing folders of all computers on the network. However, when i try to open files i get the error "you need permission to open this file". This happens about 70% of the time.

My HTPC "CITRUS" runs XP 32. This computer can see all shared folders but can only access one folder on one of the other XP 32 box's. The error is something along the lines of "you dont have permission to access the file - contact your system admin"

The other computers all have simmillar problems. Some can access certin files on other computers but it seems to be random.

I had thought it might have been individual file attributes set to read-only but after changing attributes and setting's for folder options to apply to decendant folders. I still dont have full access. Vista computers have "full control" permissions set on all network folders for all users.

Im Stumped, Help Please!

-Jaims
    You Dont Spread Democracy Through The Barrel Of A Gun.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: File Share Issues In Vista & XP

Sounds like a permissions problem. Are you using an authenticated or anonymous share? Are the XP installs Home or Pro? Have you checked the user permissions on the directories shared on the XP boxes?
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Password protected sharing is set to off so i guess that anonymous. XP home. All permissions are set for full access.

Lets forget the other computers on my network for the time being. If i can figure out how to get all the files from my HTPC to my main comp, im sure i'll be able to figure out the others.

I dont think its a directory permission problem. I can access the shared folders and browse the files. Opening certin files or folders gives me the error's. Here's an example.

//SharedFolder/Movies/Folder-A/File-A This is accessable
    //SharedFolder/Movies/Folder-B/File-B Cant access this file
    //SharedFolder/Movies/File-C This is accessable

Sometimes, depending on who created the files, the permissions can get overwritten and be different than the rest of the files in the directory. Check the permissions for those specific files that you can't access.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Ahh, ok i might have figured it out. A piece of it anyway. When i open the file properties on the remote computer for files i cant access it says i can take or assign ownership of the file. Problem is that it says there is no current owner for the file. My vista computer is on the list for selectable owners but i think only the current owner can switch ownership remotely. But there isnt one assigned to the file.

I'll have to wait a bit to be able to get on the XP computer. My nephew is watching power rangers. I'll post back once i get a few minutes with the computer upstairs.

Progress but no progress. I looked up how to change ownership in XP. It requires jumping into safe mode and changing the setting in the security tab. I was a little confused because it looks exactly like the Vista version which i can get into at any time on my computer.

This is not ideal by any strech. Going upstairs, reboot the comp, safe mode, change settings, reboot. for every new file added is absurd.

If i can figure out how to make my vista computer a user account on on the XP computer i might be able to set ownership on Root shared folder which might let my Vista computer be an owner of all daughter folders aswell?

My Brain Hurts..

Solution to all those problems...don't host files on XP Home. They stripped all of the account and permissions controls out of Home.
    --Benjamin Franklin

Actually... There all there and i got it working. You just need to be in safe mode to access them. Everything seems to be golden now.

I went back into safe mode on the computer upstairs and was farting around in the security options and noticed a weird check box that still doesnt make sence to me. It sounds like what i want. "Replace permisson entries on all child objects with entries showen here that apply to child objects." When you click it a warnning message opens up. This will remove explicitly definded permissions on all child objects and enable propagation of inheritable permissions to thoes child objects. Only inheritable permissions propagated from 'Folder' will take effect" Do you want to continue? Clicked yes and it set security information to a whole slew of files.

I restarted the computer, came downstairs and all is working, i have access to all the files now.

Good to hear.
    --Benjamin Franklin