Thread: LCD controler board questions

Default LCD controler board questions

Hey, all. Once again, I've fallen off the radar for a bit. I have an idea bouncing around in my head, but am a little unsure about the implementation - so where better to come?

Long story short, due to an unfortunate series of events, I have a brand-new, used-once LCD panel for a Dell Vostro A860 that I can't do anything else with. I've been debating turning it into a secondary monitor as a proof-of-concept for a future mod to be announced.

I've been reading about controller boards like these and am intrigued. Does anyone have experience using these? I realize that I'd also need the inverter and power for it, but are they otherwise plug n play? What about drivers?

If anyone has any feedback, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Default Re: LCD controler board questions

I've done similar stuff in the past, involving small (2-3") LCMs from PDAs and smartphones.

You'll have to get all the specs and pinouts for your display.

You'll have to match it up with whatever interface card you make/buy. If you buy a product like that one listed on eBay you might have a helluva time getting useful tech data (unless you can read Chinese/whatever). Best to match your specs before you buy. (I'm also a little unclear what that card is for. Any card with DVI output should work, at least for testing.)
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

He needs LVDS, it's a laptop panel.

It's still a crapshoot on the cards, but your chances are getting better and better...
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

Does generic OS/driver software usually work for such displays? (Stolen from the laptop, perhaps?)
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.