Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oh Dear! My xbox 360! (open tray error!)

Default Oh Dear! My xbox 360! (open tray error!)

alright. i figure this is a good of a place as any to post this...

- randomly 30 seconds into gameplay or 2 hours into gameplay the xbox will restart itself and then go back to the main screen with the infamous "open tray".

- the open tray is inconsistent, can do it at any time. does not overheat. could be cold and within a minute of turning on the xbox

- has a toshiba drive in it, not like the other drives i see online

- have disassembled and cleaned out the xbox, cleaned the drive and the reader lense on the drive. NO effect.

- I have cussed at it, this only seemed to anger the xbox.

- threatened to kill all of it's family and pee on the xbox. this seemed to not affect it, and the open tray errors have continued.

Ideas? It is out of warranty. So it's about as much as a new xbox to fix it. Although if I can fix it and keep it... I'd be far happier. The new patch came out the other day and it updated, this also did not affect it. Now it just reboots in style.

Perhaps the 360 was made by the same people that designed C&C 4. Wait.. no... microsoft doesn't promise greatness and then disappoint, they just make products shiny and you expect them to disappoint...

Default Re: ****in xbox 360! (open tray error!)

Perhaps the drive itself is broken? Maybe replace it? Might be worth a shot, anyways.

Is it true that they are paired though, I heard that I have to do some weird pairing thing if I do that?

Is this the correct drive?

http://www.amazon.com/Ts-h943-Dvd-ro.../dp/B001CP5WXC

Try looking through the comments for further information. It seems that there might be more steps to installing one of these things than just simply connecting it.

From what I've read, I'm not entirely sure about the pairing. But, I'd probably lean towards it being true, which is why I linked a toshiba xbox 360 drive above.

Hope that helps. I don't know much in this area of electronics, unfortunately.

They ARE paired... I dont remember how you pair them though. It is fairly simple and there are youtube videos out there describing how to do it. I remember when my ex brother in law fixed his drive he just watched a video and got it working.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Default Re: Oh Dear! My xbox 360! (open tray error!)

i got another xbox that suffered from the red ring of death. i am going to attempt to fix the RROD first, and if that does not work, I shall attempt to pair the drive with my xbox.

3 rings... btw

I see a mod changed my thread title, apologies for the intrusive language. I will more carefully so the mods don't have to waste their time editing my stuff. wasn't sure if it was okay or not, so my apologies if I offended anyone.

Well guys I attempted to swap drives and my xbox puked and didn't like it.

However... the other xbox that I got was plugged full of dust! I cleaned it out with an air compressor and just thoroughly went through it and cleaned it. Put it back together and been playing it for HOURS and no issues.

So basically I got a 3 ring rrod xbox for $40 and cleaned with with compressed air.... good as new. Go me. Feels SO good to have it back.

sweet... glad you got it back working. have a no-video xbox 360 that I have been meaning to clean up and re thermal paste... just waiting for the right time to do it. (no kid that is. lol )
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER