Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Linux?

Resident Alcoholic

Default Linux?

I hardly ever go a week without somebody trying to convince me that I need to run linux. I am a firm beleiver however, that if it aint broke, dont fix it. In other words, why would linux be better than windows?
    Anyone here use it?
    If so, could somebody tell me why it is so great? Would it be possible for me to choose whether to boot into xp or linux? what kind of apps work better on linux than windows?
    I spent hours searching the net for this stuff but can only find tutorials how to use it, and sites that tell you what it is, not why it is!
    Cheers
    H

Default Re: Linux?

I'd say find out for yourself!

Knoppix is a version of linux that runs entirely off a CD. It's free to download, just burn it to a disc, put it in your drive, and make sure your CD drive is first in your boot order in the BIOS.

Then it loads up knoppix, allowing you to get a feel for linux without doing anything to your computer. Just remove the disc and restart to get windows back-easy.

Oh, and it's fairly easy to have a dual-boot windows/linux system. I know a lot of people who have then and they havn't moaned yet.

-Dave
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Ideas are just knowledge soaked in alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbnsn
    Did I just get in a Volvo? Volvo's don't have guns!

There are plenty of choices. I'm an ubuntu user, and having tried others I find that suits me the best. There is an excellent forum, with support for new users and experienced alike. IMO, that's what makes ubuntu better, the community.

As for what runs better...

Most windows applications don't run natively, so you need alternatives. Instead of Photoshop, use Gimp. Instead of MS office, use Open Office. The list goes on.

If you're a gamer, stick with windows. Or dual-boot. I have XP but I only use it if I have to (my printer isn't supported..). That's another thing. Hardware support isn't as well covered. If you have an NVidia video card, that's no problem. Winmodems can be a pain, as can some printers and scanners. That's not the fault of linux, but the manufacturers not releasing the specs which allow drivers to be written.

Try a live CD (runs from the CD without touching your windows installation) but don't be put off by how slow it seems. That's just because it's running from the CD. A proper installation will be much faster. One thing you will probably notice is that everything works, right out of the box. Network cards, USB ports, sound, Video. Try that with windows without loading the drivers.

If you have a ethernet internet connection, and use DHCP, it will be connected to the net before it's even finished loading.

The biggest (IMO) advantage is choice. Linux can use a number of window managers, or desktops. Depending on your preverences. Gnome, KDE, fluxbox, ICE, and more.
    Windows gives you explorer, period.

Take a look around that forum. I sugest you at least read this post.

Resident Alcoholic

Thanks for the advice!
    One problem with knoppix though is that I have an AMD athlon64 2ghz and it says that only intel processors are supported - is this a problem in other versions of linux?

The intel version will run on athlon 64 just fine. I have a Knoppix cd here and it's ok on my athlon64

However, ubuntu does an athlon64 version...

Got bittorrent?
    http://mirror.mcs.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu...64.iso.torrent

Resident Alcoholic

Thanks! Im now downloading the liveCD version of ubuntu's athlon64 version. It's 74% downloaded so i'll be able to test it soon!
    Will I need to install all of my hardware drivers all over again? or will it just work?
    Cheers
    H

Resident Alcoholic

Well Im now writing this from ubuntu and Im very impressed - it's nice and fast even with the livecd. I am also impressed with the openoffice software - I have had big problems with getting microsoft word for this laptop and theres no way im paying for it - So this is great!!
    Thanks for your help!
    H

It should just work. Depends on your system though.
    Remember it's a live version, so anything you change will evaporate if you reboot.
    Another thing, (apologies if you know this) make sure you burn the CD correctly.
    Here's how: http://www.xmastree.34sp.com/ubuntu/burn

Edit: Erm, ignore that. I see you got it running.

less than one hour to download it? Damn, it took me five..

Resident Alcoholic

Yeah man I went through every single mirror and found one which flew along at 550kbps

Im going to have to get the installation version now. How does it work partition wise? does it need to create a new partition?
    Cheers
    H

I run both Windows and linux. I mainly use Windows for gaming and just because its easier to find task specific software. I must say the linux software world has grown significantly over the last 5 years and there usually is some sort of corresponding package to a mainstream windows package. I admin a hosting box out on the net that I wouldn't dream of running anything but linux on. I also use it at work alot when we need to throw up some sort of temp dev platform. You can really get alot done with a LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL Php) style server with out spending alot of cash, which of course the "suits" like. It still will be a while before its ready to be a full desktop operating system for the masses. Whats really kind of funny IMO is that most (by that I mean the average home users in which we pretty much don't fall in that catagory) people really just use their computers for email, surfing the web, listening to music, and minor office applications. Any liveCD distro can pretty much accomplish that very easily, and do it very well, which means it boils down to acceptance. Well that was my little mini rant. I enjoy using both OS's and look forward to seeing the advances of the linux world. The new XGL stuff looks VERY kewl. It will definately add some spice to the linux desktop. Check it out here.. Google Video Oh.. and I guess the reason I started this post was I was going to mention that if you like Open Office for your laptop, there is also a Windows port of that as well. We load it at work for the non power users, and it works very well.

Have fun and good luck.