Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Linux?

Default Re: Linux?

Your using apt right?... I thought apt-get reconciled, downloaded, and installed dependency.. but its been a while since I used it on a debian based system.

Quote Originally Posted by onelegout
    Well it seems that I have entered dependency hell.
    I cant seem to install anything without having to install 30 more things. It mostly seems to be development apps and perl modules. Is there no easy way to install eveything?
    Yeah, use synaptic. You need to instal 30 more things, but that should all happen automatically. Select the app you want and it will advise you of the additional packages. Just say ok and it will do it all for you.

ATX Mental Case

Ubuntu is cool and easy to use, install, download programs almost one command allowd you to do that ;=)

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

I am running RedHat9 with the K Desktop enviroment on my second rig (Athlon K6, 700MHz, ATi Rage2d, etc) And while if looks pretty, you won't really learn linux.

I am trying to, however, get Slackware 10.2 for that rig, and alsy trying to get my other 10gb HDD back for a RAID config.

Resident Alcoholic

Quote Originally Posted by xmastree
    Yeah, use synaptic. You need to instal 30 more things, but that should all happen automatically. Select the app you want and it will advise you of the additional packages. Just say ok and it will do it all for you.
    HUaha! well I did it all by hand just before my laptop died just before easter! I have a new one now so I might install ubuntu on it again and give it a second try!

It's real easy. The main thing is to enable the extra repositories and do apt-get update.
    This is because, for some whacky legal reasons (like MP3 codecs being illegal in the USA) ubuntu doesn't ship with them. The onus is on the end user not to be naughty by installing them. Yeah, Right.
    So, the repositories containing them (and tons of other good stuff) are disabled by default, but remove a few comments from a certain file and it's all available.

Resident Alcoholic

Quote Originally Posted by xmastree
    It's real easy. The main thing is to enable the extra repositories and do apt-get update.
    This is because, for some whacky legal reasons (like MP3 codecs being illegal in the USA) ubuntu doesn't ship with them. The onus is on the end user not to be naughty by installing them. Yeah, Right.
    So, the repositories containing them (and tons of other good stuff) are disabled by default, but remove a few comments from a certain file and it's all available.
    Can you be more specific? Im a doofus
    Also, where can I find out how to turn my normal ubuntu desktop into something awesome like yours? Are there any programs which would help me? or tutorials?
    eek! I feel like a small fish in a large pond!
    Cheers
    H

Edit: now I feel like a slightly fatter fish
    Check it out:
    http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/7...eenshot4em.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by onelegout
    Can you be more specific? Im a doofus
    About the repos,
    http://www.ubuntuguide.org/#repositories
    is a good place to start. That guide was written for the older version, but most of it is still relevant.
    Looking good! I see you found gdesklets.

ATX Mental Case

Some info what i think about unbuntu

Ubuntu is very cool and easy to use linux. They are many pages/forums that are always going to help. You can burn ubuntu on 1 cd , this is the best linux for me .( i use Mandarive 2006, Suse, Slackware).. Use UBUNTU (5.10) i dont know why im posting this but thos are pluses of linux!

Resident Alcoholic

Thanks for the help! Ive enabled the extra repositories and got everything I need, Ive also just got tilda and it's great! Ive set it to run at startup as well as gdesklets so now Im all set up and ready to go
    And yes, Ubuntu is fantastic - I havn't had one real problem so far! I also love the cpu clock speed scaling that it uses; im gaining litteraly hours of battery life now! thanks for your help
    H