Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: X

If you can't hack it, you don't own it! Oneslowz28's Avatar

Default X

This is not really a mod but more of a "finished building my dream PC." After a few months serving as my testing station I have finally have her just like I want her. So with out further adieu I give you X.

Hardware list:
    • Case: Cooler Master HAF X
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5
    • Processor: AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition
    • RAM: 2x2GB Blue Crucial Tracer Ballistix
    • GPUs: 2x Gigabyte GV-R1587UD - UD5 ATI Radion HD 5870 1GB GDDR 5
    • PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800w
    • DVD: Plextor PX-880SA Multi Writer
    • HDD: 2x WD Caviar Green 500GB, WD Caviar Blue 1TB, 1x Seagate 1TB
    • Fan Controll: NZXT Sentry 2 Touch Screen
    • Front LCD: Matrix Orbital GX Typhoon with rare inverse RGB LCD
    • CPU Water Block: Danger Den MC-TDX AM3
    • Radiator: Hardware Labs Black Ice SR1 240 w/ 2 Low speed Yate Loon 120mm fans.
    • Water Pump: Danger Den CPX Pro
    • Reservoir: Danger Den single 5.25" bay.
    • Fill Port: Bits Power with black Bits Power stop.
    • Drain Port: Danger Den Derlin Fill Port w/ PEX 1/2" ball valve.
    • Fittings: Danger Den 1/2" Fatboys
    • Tubing: 3/8" Tygon
    • Fluid: Fesser 1 Blue
    • Case Fans: 3 Xigmatek XLF Blue 200mm, 1 Cooler Master 230 Blue, 1 Xigmatek XLF Blue 140mm
    • Expanded USB 2.0: NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expander
    • Case lighting: NZXT LED String kit 2 meters blue, 2x 12" UV CCFL.

The HAF X has been nothing but a joy to work with. I have reviewed a lot of nice cases over the last two years and I have to say that the HAF X is my favorite. It is a bit expensive but its price reflects its quality and design.

IMO the single best feature of the HAF X is its shear size. It comes pre-drilled to mount up to a 360mm radiator above the motherboard and still have plenty of room for 2 fans above and below the radiator. I am a little anal about cable management if you can not tell.

This is the VGA support bracket Cooler Master includes with the HAF X. I has not been using it with my Gigabyte 5970s but noticed a little sag in them over the weekend so I put it on.

That's the PCB and control hardware for the NZXT LED String.

Quick shot of the strait blades on the Xigmatek XLF 140mm. They move a lot of air and are dead silent even at full power.

Now we are getting into the water cooling. This is my custom drain line. It's fed from the lowest point in my loop which is the intake of my CPX pro pump. Flow is shut off by a 1/2" PEX ball valve. It terminates to a Danger Den Derlin Fill port. When I am ready to drain my loop all I have to do is screw a drain hose onto the end of the drain port (DD fill ports are normal G 1/4" threaded.) and open the valve. The flow will begin when I loosen the cap on the fill port.

Another shot of the drain valve.

Now on to the other end of the loop. Here you can see how I hide my fill port. It Just loops over the cage for my Matrix Orbital LCD. You can also see how I have the reservoir plumbed.

The fill port line is about 12" long so I can pull it out of the case when filling. It is terminated with a Bits Power Silver Fill port and a Bits Power Black stop plug. You can also see that I have my radiator mounted with the fittings down. I did that because it cleaned up the installation some.

Here is the Danger Den Derlin T-block. I have a heavy metal Bits Power T but I felt its weigh was putting too much stress on the reservoir.

This is Danger Den's MC-TDX water block. Despite the things I hear about newer blocks like the Heat Killer's or what ever EK is peddling these days, I will swear by this block. Even with my 140w 965 running at 4.1GHz with a Vcore of 1.575, it keeps things under 57c. It's hard to ask for better temps than that. Anyone looking for a reasonably priced AM2 / AM3 block should check this one out.

I was not going to post this, but some people have asked how the back side of my motherboard tray looks. Well I am not happy about it, but it keeps things clean on the front. There are between 50 and 75 4" zip ties in this case total.

A shot of the back of the case. I use aftermarket black anodized thumb screws instead of the stock ones.

This thread would not be complete with out a few glow pics. Yes it is that bright even with all the lights on in the room.

With the lights off, its even brighter. I am thinking of renting it to the local airport as a runway beacon.

One final shot with the door on.

As I was writing this I realized that I forgot to take a shot of the face. I will get that up later this week.
    Last edited by Oneslowz28; 04-10-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: X

looks sick! nice work!

You've got junk built up in your CPU block.
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

either that or air bubbles

Yea I forgot to mention that. That's the legendary Fesser 1 separation feature. It separated within 2 weeks of the loops running. The first loop separated before I ever heated it up. Here are 2 shots from me flushing out the system when I first built it and had all the leaks due to 10mm tubing on 3/8" barbs instead of 1/2" barbs on 3/8" tubing. I had to drain and flush because the it was a holiday weekend and DD would not be able to ship the new tygon until that coming Tuesday. Click the images for a high res where you can really see the solids. The system was flushed with distilled water which was ran through a coffee filter to strain out any particulates. I should mention that the fluid that has now separated is a separate bottle and not the original.

Don't you have some stuff that won't clog your block around there somewhere?
    Project:Mithril, sponsored by Petra's Tech Shop and Sidewinder Computers-MOTM Nominee October '08

like a 79 cent jug of distilled water?
    Not dead yet

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Looking good, CJ.

The Feser One separation issue continues to perplex and confuse me...mainly because it seems to be fairly common and that I've used, I think, 5L of the stuff and haven't seen anything.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

kinda like how when i first joined certain people gave me flak for having a Tt WC system, yet I never had one single issue with it and temps were always on par with any other WC loop

Yea it really is hit and miss with the Fesser 1. I think it may have something to do with the pumps impeller design. Then again I could be completely wrong. I have some pretty cool nano silver fluid to test out in it soon. When I drain this loop I am going to try and have a friend take some pics of the "gunk" under a microscope.

SXR, I ran my TT kit for 5 months with out a single problem and its been in my server ever since running 24/7 with out a problem.