Thread: boat repair--- brazing

Fresh Paint

Default boat repair--- brazing

hello im new to this site, im looking for some advice or maybe someone can recommend a sure fix for my aluminum boat. i have been to home depot an bought the brazing rods for aluminum,the brazing welds do not hold,i have cleaned the area several times with a mild acid,used alumabrite,acetone and any other cleaners recommended for cleaning metal,i have even fluxed the rods according to what videos say on you tube.i also heated the place i was brazing and not the rod after the rod liquifies and i cover the the entire hole i have build-up so i sand it down then i do a test check and tap the brazed part after the tap it falls out. so could someone point me in the rite direction,i just dont want to take it to a welder i dont have the money and i i already did a price check.this is the hole i am trying to repair on my boat i have two more like this one in the pic

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Default Re: boat repair--- brazing

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions for a fix involving brazing. I do know that aluminum is one of the hardest metals to weld properly which explains why it's so expensive to get welded. Is the piece you are trying to braze a piece of aluminum or another metal?
    TheMainMan

Fresh Paint

yes i have three hole in my boat i bought the boat last year for 6 hundred with trailer an no motor. i bought some welding rods from home depot to braze and seal the hole holes in my boat but when i melted the rods to seal the holes the rods that melted i thought were suppose to adhere to the aluminum on boat and that did not happen when i did a strength test the melted area fell out so i dont know if it was just the rods i bought and them needing a higher heating system or if i need to buy the other rods i seen online like alumarods here is a pic of one of three holes i have in my boat
    Last edited by 19slim69; 05-27-2014 at 06:42 PM. Reason: need to show pic

You have a problem wanting to fix a hole in your boat and you've selected aluminum brazing as the best way to go. But, unfortunately, brazing is not really going to be your best solution. Do as all the shops do that repair aluminum do and use a patch over the hole which is secured with blind aluminum pop rivets. Cut a patch to size, tape it in place, drill the holes around the perimeter of the patch, and deburr the holes. Next, put some appropriate sealant around the hole before you rivet the patch in place. Once the sealant sets up, the patch is waterproof and permanent and will be as strong as the original undamaged hull. There is no reason why you cannot use somewhat thicker aluminum for your repair patch, for an even stronger repair. This is how all aluminum truck trailers are repaired and it's worked out well a gazillion times! Also, you'll have a better looking repair if you cut out the old damage and make a hole that's a rectangle or some ohter regular geometrically shaped hole that will accept a similarly shaped larger patch. In addition, I see a lot of corrosion around the hole in your boat -- when making these repairs be sure to remove all surface corrosion and ensure you have solid metal to hold your patch. Good luck!

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

what you have here might appear like a hole in your boat but in reality is the beginning stages of what the scientific community refers to as a "black hole", Though the marine variety like you have here is special in that it's only gravitational attraction is with personal monetary saving accounts and your wallet.

Fresh Paint

i would like to thank you for your advice on my problem that i have with my boat