Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Thread: Project: Power House

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Power House

So, we got two Wills here now?

This MIGHT get confusing.....
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

including you, 3 actually lol

Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Numbers.
    SXR.

Who's the 3rd? Not me.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta

would be me. hence the smiley.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Some great ideas here.
    I am not sure how, but a 24V supply would be advantageous, maybe most easily achieved by including a separate transformer, plus rectifier & regulator which could be an adjustable type for greater utility.

Re the multimeter for digital voltage readout: that is the best & lowest cost approach although cutting the PSU panel to accomodate needs a bit of care. You also usually have a built in transistor tester & sometimes a capacitor tester & auto-ranging for a few more $$$. The other thing is that it may be better to retain the battery supply for the meter, most work on 9V & I suspect a ground connection for alternative supply might introduce spikes or other unwanted & hard to find "interference".

I have wrestled with the issue of the best & most easily used connectors when building a similar unit. At first I also used binding posts but they are a pain when a quick connection is required. Finally I decided that screw down clamp terminals were all round the most convenient, just stick your wire in the hole & clamp it without damage by a screwdown. Best of all the whole connector is pretty well protected against accidental contact by the plastic moulding. Oh yes, & although not elegant top mount is the most convenient.

I never thought about a fan (foolishly) believing that a bench supply is very rarely in use for more than a few minutes at a time. That's dumb & limiting when fans are cheap. Here (in Australia) however, you might need to incorporate a 1 mm square insect proof mesh - those damn insects love warm hard to access places.

I'd love to see more detail about low cost lighting effects.
    Well done.

My final comment:
    This has been a wonderful project to follow, & see how community involvement has helped.
    The "24V+" solution is great even if it meant a "board from China".
    I was not surprised to see you experienced some "interference" on your meter (see my other post) but pleased you sorted it.
    Personally I don't like the cramped space but recognise how that came about.
    Also I don't like the hard edged box design which I think proved time consuming to make, although very flexible, & the materials are easy to work.
    All round a very well made & super useful bench PSU.
    Well done & thanks for the ongoing detailed explanations - I guess that applies to everyone here.

Thanks for you comments Peter and thanks for checking it out!

ok well now that the weather has warmed up I've noticed the readings are off again. The warmer it gets, the lower the readings. It'll be ~75º in the room, and with the fan in the window as night comes it cools down to ~65º and the readings go up by a volt or so on the 12v. right now it's ~77º, the 3v is reading 3.3, 5v is 4.56 ans 12v is 10.47. The actual voltage is correct though.

It would appear that I need to make some sort of temperature compensation for the ATMega. Apparently it's ADC is affected by temp. More on this later.

Fresh Paint

Resistors change values with temperature changes. Try using precision resistors

Great project and documentaion.
    What LCD did you use?

Thanks