Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Project: Power House

Default Re: Project: Power House

I've heard that you can take the -12 line from the 24pin connector and pair that with a +12 line and you'll get 24v. I did it with my current bench supply project and it worked, not sure if there's any risk to doing it but I've read it in a few places that did ATX to bench supply mods.

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

this, my friend, is a wonderful idea which I will have to research more. +rep to you!

ok so that idea is out the window. You can do it, but you're limited to the amperage the -12v can supply, which according to this review is only 0.3A, which is way too little. I'd be better off with the 480mA 120AC to 24DC converter

I think I'll just hook it to the 12v for now (which after the adjustable reg will give me ~10.5V), and whenever I figure out an easy 24v solution I'll work it in. Thanks for the idea though! If I had a better PSU with 0.8A or even 1A on the -12v it'd be fine.
    Last edited by SXRguyinMA; 03-09-2011 at 11:30 AM.

Ahh, I think I'll go check mine now!

Update time!

So thanks to CJ, I made up this nice adjustable voltage regulator unit.

I used a 10k pot instead of a 5k because I had it around. With a 12v input, all the way up gets ~11v, all the way down is ~1.25v, and I can go anywhere in between

Now I had these nice little PCB clips I was going to use to mount this board and the board for the LCD. Only problem is, whatever kind of plastic these are made of is not compatible with CA glue. I glued one to a scrap piece of the black acrylic as a test, and I hardly touched it 2 days later and it popped right off.

So instead I cut some scraps of red Acrylic I had laying around, then drilled holes and threaded in brass standoffs to mount the PCBs to. The red parts I glued to the inside of the case.

The one for the LCD I decided to mount to the top panel because that was really the only place I had room to put it!

Here is the VR board mounted and the pot and output and ground connectors hooked up.

And a shot of the wiring done for the LCD readout that's hooked to the adjustable board.

I also started cutting wires on the PSU and adding connectors for all the various connections. I'll get pics of that next time I do some work on it

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Looks good. IIRC, if you use a lower resistance pot you can get closer to the input voltage..not 100% sure about that though..
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

nah I tried with a smaller thumbwheel 5k one, and it only got to 10.5, and when I hooked up this 10k one it got to 11, but that's fine

Hopefully down the road I can find a way (in a small size) to get ~24v to put on that adjustable output. There's that RS 120AC-25DC @ 480mA one I linked to for $7, but I don't think 480mA will be enough. The next one up is a 3 amp one, but it's physically too big for me to fit it in there lol

Custom Title Honors

check out "charge pumps". here's a description from wikipedia so i don't have to type a whole bunch. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charge_pump

i really don't know too much about how much current they can handle, but this may be a way for you to get your 24v.

i just recently learned about them at work. we have a small product that uses a charge pump and it baffled me how there could be a 6v amplifier power circuit with only a 3v input.

anyway, just a thought for you.

thanks! +rep

Custom Title Honors

so, i talke dto one of the engineers here and this is the chip we use. it's a lineartech LTC3862.

there are a lot more components that go into the circuit, but the engineer says it will take a 12v input and produce a 24v output with plenty of current for you.

you'll just have to look at the datasheet for example circuits probably.

cheers.