Page 4 of 55 FirstFirst 1234567891454 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Stealthlow

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Default Re: Project Stealthlow

This is why steel-toed boots are a good thing. Good to hear your foot's ok.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Same thing my dad said lol , I like to mod in comfy trainers so I'll be more careful in the future & do a quick hazard assessment before I do anything , the garage is just all out of places to put things.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

You could always make steel toe covers for those trainers...we are modders, after all.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

Quote Originally Posted by x88x View Post
    You could always make steel toe covers for those trainers...we are modders, after all.
    LOL .

Here's pictures of the edges after cutting & using the disc sander.

Couple of action shots while I was doing the 240 grit, I found switching between these 2 grip styles kept my hands functional for longer.

And the mess & result from many hours on 240 grit.

Then did 600 grit, then 1200, could go & do the 2000 & polish but feel there is no need, now all thats left to do with these pieces is when I get the new drill press cut fan holes in all the big pieces, sand inside the hole & start sticking them all together with the clear acrylic adhesive, then that's all the hdd fan holders made, I'm going with light, dark, light, dark, light

Holy sheet an entire day of wet sanding 6:30am to 6pm so I think I'll have no problem getting to sleep tonight, feel like I've been doing the twist dance all day lol .

A big old Tease Apparently DonT-FeaR's Avatar

i like it mate thats a bit of work to get em to look good
    Quote Originally Posted by Drum Thumper View Post
    you tease!

Quote Originally Posted by DonT-FeaR View Post
    i like it mate thats a bit of work to get em to look good
    Thanks mate, it's good to see you around again too .
    Today I'll mostly be waiting for deliveries, but if they come early I'll get something done

Modding the World, One Case at a Time Boddaker's Avatar

Good job man, that's a ton of work! But you will really notice the difference in the end, so it was worth while.
    Honey Roasted Peanuts Ingredients: Salt; Artificial honey roasting agents; Pressed peanut sweepings.

Quote Originally Posted by Boddaker View Post
    Good job man, that's a ton of work! But you will really notice the difference in the end, so it was worth while.
    Thanks Brian & yeah it sure was but it's worth it .

I put the tensol 12 acrylic adhesive I bought to work, holy crap, nasty toxic fumes come from it, I was on the edge of not using it because it's so bad but made sure the front garage door & the other door was wide open & wrapped a thick towel around my face & got on with sticking the little pieces together, I used an art brush to apply it, my heart was beating way faster than normal & felt a little shaky (might have been because of the cold though), awful adhesive, I should have a quality respirator but they cost too much for one that offers genuine protection.

And here they are stuck together.

They are a bit wonky so I'll need to sand them all down to be level with each other, yay more sanding, also mucked up by filing down all the middle pieces instead of just the 3 for the fan wires , but luckily they won't be seen thanks to the flat bar which covers the bottom area phew .

Just made a nasty discovery.
    The 5mm sheets of acrylic are more like 4.9mm so all the fan holders are out by 0.5mm which is bad as the fan holders don't connect to each other now, so my only option is to sand down the bottom 3 fans by 0.5mm how s*** is that, so yeah this means anything I'm making with the 5mm sheet is not going to be correct thanks to the bad materials, the hdd fan holders is bad enough but I was going to make my own pci/io piece too, but might just about get away with 0.2mm error from the material, but holy sheet this isn't good , I can only guess they measure the materials with the protective backing .

Here is the new drill press with my hole cutter attached, I find it to be better & cleaner cutting than a hole saw .

Quote Originally Posted by Waynio
    I can only guess they measure the materials with the protective backing .
    Acrylic shrinks a bit while cooling after being cast or extruded. It actually expands and contracts A LOT with temperature changes...which has me worried about the case I've been designing for going-on-forever. You'll never see acrylic sheet with precise thicknesses because they have to approximate for shrinkage which isn't always consistent.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Acrylic shrinks a bit while cooling after being cast or extruded. It actually expands and contracts A LOT with temperature changes...which has me worried about the case I've been designing for going-on-forever. You'll never see acrylic sheet with precise thicknesses because they have to approximate for shrinkage which isn't always consistent.
    Learn something new nearly every day , thanks for that info mate, now I'm not peed about it +rep for that even , still it's a shame I have to sand down the bottom fans, got 1 done 2 to go & working on making the fan holes in the bigger acrylic pieces, got 4 out of 14 done & aiming to get all 14 done & the other 2 fans by the end of the day .