Page 42 of 55 FirstFirst ... 32373839404142434445464752 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Stealthlow

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Project Stealthlow

Did a test run of the installed fans running & woo hoo no vibrations at all, 1 of the fans has a faint wobble but isn't causing any vibrations with them being solidly secured but it's all genuinely silent, I had to stick my head inside the case to be able to hear them running lol so it will definitely live up to it's stealth part of the name & the air flow goes as expected , just hope it can cope with the overclock I have on it, it's only just above a faint breeze going through the case so should be ok just about, people think those Fractal Design Define R3 cases are quiet, I've built a rig for my bro with 1 & they aren't so quiet but this is silent as if it's a passively cooled rig so if anything is going to make any noise on this it will be the gtx 580 really can't believe how silent it is, if there were no spinning fans or lights you couldn't tell it was on .

Also done a little smoke test so I could see the flow working correct & it does although the bottom front fan is cutting it fine, ideally it needs pulling 10mm further into the case so it flows that little bit better, either that or add a seperator piece between the 2 front fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Blibbax View Post
    A question on cooling.

This is what you want to happen:

But because you've got the intake fan not directly against its vents, and those vents aren't directly lined up, I think you might end up with a loop around the intake fan.

And because this will result in negative pressure inside the case, and you have a perforated rear, I think you might end up with a loop around the exhaust too.

Between those two effects, you'd end up with very little airflow across the components. What say you?

(Not trying to pick holes here, just trying to be helpful )
    I had to dig out this post as I remembered you saying this & I finally got to the part where I found out for sure & you was absolutely correct about the bottom front fan , at the time when you said it I really wasn't sure if the air could do that but yes it did, however all the rest works as it should thank goodness .

Sorted it out though by adding extra vent in front of that particular fan & it all works as planned now, quite nicely too I'll get a picture update on tomorrow when it's light .

So I found the acrylic cover prevented the lower fan from catching air properly, so I added extra ventage this introduced a bit more fine scratches but I found a solution for it & already ordered it so all the scratches will be removed & the acrylic will be restored back to perfect .

These last 2 shots I took in sniper position without tripod .

And in case anyones wondering why the alu strips aren't perfectly in the middle they can move a little side to side so not a problem .

LOL A good old winge about the corsair cables being crap & it forced me to do something with the 3mm copper rods but not entirely sure I'll stick with this although it immediately tidied the wires up nicely but the dark tint makes it hide almost completely so either I'm on to something ok with the copper spiral rods that needs more work or I should just go with the MDPCX cable clips .

The black wire I bought was useless & snaps easy when tightened so couldn't do what I intended with the copper wire supports so did spirals instead .

Also I wouldn't mind making a right angle ATX power connector to keep the wires out of the way from the front fan (I seen such a technique done by Chiller so it's possible).

Before the copper.

Copper installed to tidy up.

Thoughts? possibly on to an ok thing with the copper rod or not .

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

The copper looks good.

1 question: What is the fan above the PSU doing? Its not pulling or pushing anything. It looks to be less than an inch away from a solid piece...

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

Copper wire management looks really good, kinda like watercooling anti-kink coils.
    TheMainMan

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    The copper looks good.

1 question: What is the fan above the PSU doing? Its not pulling or pushing anything. It looks to be less than an inch away from a solid piece...
    That's just for making sure all the heat gets guided upwards & outwards so theres no heat pockets an extra measure possibly not needed but it does aid in doing whats intended, I did a similar thing in air cube but on that it helped keep temps down a bit more but it was probably going at 1 of the mobo sensors lol thanks mate .

Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    Copper wire management looks really good, kinda like watercooling anti-kink coils.
    Thanks mate, the overall feedback suggests it's quite good so I'll persist in making it a bit better still .

Thanks guys .

The acrylic scratch removal bits came today, it's novus 3 heavy scratch remover which I shouldn't need to use, 2 fine scratch remover which I'll use, 1 plastic clean & shine & a couple of 5 packs of 100% cotton fine polishing cloths.

Also the standard 18-55mm canon IS lens came today & give it a few shots to do, here they are .

Not bad, not nearly as good as the sigma lens & feels like a toy but not bad picture quality, much better than my dads older lenses so I'll be happy with that & it's not an expensive lens so I'll be happy to use this in the workshop also so much better being able to be much closer to what I'm shooting was quite a mistake not getting a zoom macro lens as my main lens (I'll still take care of it as if it was an expensive one though) .

Just got all upper level fans installed & it's still silent but also with the push/pull fans the flow is rather good so the overclock should be perfectly fine so now I have all the fans ready to properly start on needed cable lengths & get the wire work done on them.

I also ordered 5 ATX right angle pieces from America (they are white though so I'll have to colour them) & thought I could double 2 of them up so it points to the other side of the mobo tray so will keep the airflow completely clear .

Why must hard drives fail together? TheMainMan's Avatar

If you decide to colour the ATX plugs, I just tried and had good luck with dying plastic using a fabric dye. From what I've read the black usually turns out really nice.
    TheMainMan

Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    If you decide to colour the ATX plugs, I just tried and had good luck with dying plastic using a fabric dye. From what I've read the black usually turns out really nice.
    Cheers for the tip mate I'll get some black dye ordered , hopefully I won't be waiting too long for the plugs .