Page 44 of 55 FirstFirst ... 34394041424344454647484954 ... LastLast

Thread: Project Stealthlow

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Default Re: Project Stealthlow

Quote Originally Posted by TheMainMan View Post
    That definitely ranks up there as one of my favourite fan mods of all time. So cool and so perfect for this build! +rep
    Thank you mate .

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Not sure what you ended up doing, but I'd just do the twist & shrink since it works, it'll be easier to swap out fans in the future, and either way it needs to be wrapped in heatshrink.

I honestly wasn't a fan of the spiraled copper cable tie idea at first but it's growing on me. It would especially look good if each spiral was identical and the ends were hidden from view behind the wires.

The easiest way to photograph scratches in the acrylic would be to shine a bright light (such as a single LED) into the edge. Any scratches will illuminate.

And those fans are awesome. Did you have to cut out the middle section or was the fan modular? I ask because of those plastic tabs. Any pics of the fan mid-mod?

Awesomely, awesome work so far on this whole build!
    Yeah I twisted, taped, shrunk & sleeved works really well for me. The spirals I'm still experimenting on what to do, I have a bunch of black MDPC cable clips but it's just not challenging so I might make some copper ones with the leftovers from these fan pieces .

I'll remember to take photos of the process when I get to work on the others mate, they are modular, the brushed aluminium enermax pieces inside them come as 2 half circles, honestly though that scroll saw makes modding so much better really glad I went for it .

Cheers mate .

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    I think the fan mod is awesome. Looks perfect from your pics.
    Thanks Fuganater, I have a pile more photos of it in it's proper form now I've got a sollution for geting the half circles done right so here we go .

Woo hoo I found the perfect bending aid for getting these replacement pieces done, my masking tape with a perfect fitting tin of paint placed inside just wrap around it & squeeze & then a tiny bit of hand bending & got it to 99% perfect, I thought I made them 1mm too long but no they are just very fiddly to put inside the clips so now I know I can make it work I'll take these out & get all the other copper pieces bent properly & then if needed give them another brushing & then brush some metal lacquer on them to stop them from tarnishing .

The strips go in in 2 pieces just like the enermax ones, it's a modular fan .

Got the fan copper pieces & the fan mount stumps brushed with the coarse mop & then brushed metal lacquer on them so they can be handled now without easily adding finger prints & got them all installed.

I've got to say... this is looking awesome!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega
    ber is id elicous
    Centurion 5 Mod <<--- ON HOLD FOR THE WINTER

Custom Title Honors

those are the coolest fans evar!

Quote Originally Posted by billygoat333 View Post
    I've got to say... this is looking awesome!!
    Thanks billygoa .

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    those are the coolest fans evar!
    Thanks mate .

Its not cool till its watercooled. Fuganater's Avatar

Looks much better now. But you know what stands out? That awful blue GPU fan cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuganater View Post
    Looks much better now. But you know what stands out? That awful blue GPU fan cover.
    Hehe thanks mate, but don't worry that's my spare 9800gtx & the motherboard & TRUE cooler are spare parts also .

I got an invite to the International German Casemod Championship (DCMM) so I have until the 3rd of August to make my mind up if I go, I'd love to but I'm not a keen traveller & I'm ever so slightly agoraphobic, I'm ok going about in the UK but flights & everything else I don't know & not being able to have a smoke while travelling, only German I know is how to count & to introduce myself & say hello etc I'd need drugging & carting off to get there like B.A aint getting on no plain foo lol hopefully I'll be able to kick myself up the bum to get over there .

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

that looks SICK!!

Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    that looks SICK!!
    Thanks mate they work out nice & cheap also with me doing them myself like less than £10 for all 6 fans .

This is what turned out to be perfect for getting the curves done on the copper rims, a fresh roll of cello tape with a tin of paint stuffed in the middle & just wrap the copper around it & then manually bend the ends a tiny bit, then flip over & spread it out a tiny bit & then they fit nicely .

Took it all apart ready for brushing, there are quite a few parts that need a fresh brushing & some parts that still have markings on & parts that haven't been brushed yet so it's time to get every little bit brushed & lacquered although the curve bars & motherboard tray will have to wait a little longer as I still need to make & add copper cable clips & a power button I had to opt for a 16mm one, just wasn't quite enough space for a 19mm one where I wanted it because of the strip clamps, I have thought about grinding part of the switch bevel away so it fits but undecided on that & the motherboard tray needs the psu wire pass through hole making a little bigger so more wires can cram through .

The nice thing about the metal lacquer is it doesn't leve a gloss finish if only using 1 coat but adds a nice protective layer, on a sample piece I did 1 coat & less than 3 hours later I handled it & left no finger prints or smudge marks, well none that were visible anyway & it really takes some hard rubbing to get it off so it's really good stuff .

But whatever the case I'll still need to wait for the right angle ATX plugs before I can finish this, the dylon general purpose black dye came today so I'm all set to get this complete once the ATX plugs come.

Oh can't forget about the front bottom copper panel, waiting for the range of scroll saw blades so I can cut the 2mm copper more easy on a bevel, the jewelers blades struggle cutting anything above 1.5mm so cutting 2mm copper on an angle just isn't a good idea it would take forever & would waste quite a few blades, the bandsaw blade came today though so should be able to see how well it copes with a range of thicker materials, I'm expecting it to be as good as a hacksaw but with more ease of precision so I'm a bit excited to find out how well it does .

Oh BTW I found I can buy a decent milling cross table at a good price & a rotating table, so I'm gonna be saving up so I can buy both & a good pillar drill, then I'd be able to make quite a few awesome things .

Brushing the small copper pieces with metal lacquer left me with an impression it was easy to do without hiccups, some spots it looks nasty especially under certain light but I'll rub all the bad spots out & do a fresh brush of lacquer to get it so it looks nice all over.

Glad I had a few extra things to do to the motherboard tray really as I rounded the square holes on all the main pass throughs & the hdd pass throughs & looks much nicer now, didn't need to change the optical ssd pass through as it's out of sight & works perfect, oh & added a 16mm vandal power switch which only just fit silver with white ring & finally I drilled 5 or 6 holes & put helicoils in so I could use the MDPC cable clips if I can't be bothered with making copper ones .

On with the photos .

And for shots like this is why I wanted a different lens, just couldn't get these shots with the fixed focal macro lens.

Wow that was a load of shots but hopefully good viewing with the building up part lol.