Thread: Project Stealthlow

Default Re: Project Stealthlow

gorgeous...
    Not dead yet

Now making cases for the heck of it =) Waynio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by diluzio91 View Post
    gorgeous...
    Thanks diluzio , like the sig quote & so true .

Going back in time to re-do the fan holders .

Just finished cutting the acrylic for re-making the fan holders so thats near 60 sticks & 15 fan hole pieces waiting to be sanded, the scroll saw really likes cutting acrylic, the disc sander & drum sander will make pretty quick work of finishing the edges the orange is called lava orange & looks like a neon light, these will be in the middle of the stick pieces with a white LED behind them so should create a great effect amongst the black & white colours in the bottom section, the stick sections don't catch any light from the apollish fans so allows for something nice, I will run a test before I stick them though to make sure it is good .

I started very late so only got this far so I'll do the sanding later & see if I have material for making a really accurate jig for sticking parts together, has to be a perfect jig & something placing inside the jig to prevent the bits from sticking to the jig so I don't have to do further sanding after sticking.

I tried out a polishing mop on the bench grinder so see how it turns the acrylic pieces I wet sanded with 2000 grit which took 2 hours for 6 pieces, they turned out awesome within a couple of light passes but the other pieces turned out quite crap really & wow I can't be arsed wet sanding the other 9 fan hole pieces & then the 54 stick pieces so yeah I'll just frost them all, far easier option & still a good option really, but wow the polished ones really did turn out excellent but it's just too much work, it would either be 24 hours or even 48 hours to do it would be possible for me to do it but I'd need quite a few beers to make it less monotonous I rarely drink but I've found a couple of beers lets me just get stuck in without thinking much about how many more to do .

Heres all the pieces 2000 grit wet sanded, polished, cleaned & ready for putting together with dots of tensol 12 acrylic adhesive.

All stuck together & I need a break, I feel wasted .

Got the clamp bars cut, shaped, drilled, sanded, brushed & lacquered & also cut the copper rod pieces to size which will be for handles to help taking the clamps out, power sanded edges flat, bunged them in the drill press & shaped the ends with files (only had about 3 to 4 mm to play with so couldn't get fancy ) drilled, tapped & placed helicoils inside them, brushed them & then brushed metal lacquer on them too turned out be pretty nice I think I found when brushing metal lacquer on it's best to use a heat gun on the lowest setting to speed up the initial drying which seems to stop blobs or runs forming anywhere on it .

These clamp bars aren't even necessary :lol: the hdd cages are a good tight fit but I already added the clamp supports in waaaay earlier in the project so thought I'd make them anyway lol .

Attila is the one who inspired me to turn plain bars into something nicer .

Custom Title Honors

that's so sweet

Quote Originally Posted by xr4man View Post
    that's so sweet
    Thanks mate .

Getting the lighting done right on those stick bars in the fan holders is proving a bit of a challenge , the apolish fans give off awesome light but don't touch the stick bars so I had to come up with a way to light those parts well enough to have a similar effect to holding it up to broad daylight.

I tried an LED placed directly underneath the sticks & only lights up the orange bar & a tiny bit of the dual tint pieces but lights up excellent on the top end, I also tried sanding the edges of the LED's flat which didn't help neither, I also tried countersinking the LED hole so it would make the light brighter & wider but didn't make a difference, so had ideas of frosting just the stick bars internally or using light tape or el tape stuck to the frame of the fans to give a consistant glow but light tape is fragile & expensive, I even tried a laminating sheet which looks frosted when it hasnt been used this helped a bit but still not what I was aiming for, so my latest idea is to make a block of opal frosted acrylic & bung an LED inside it & have it replace a 5mm portion of the stick bars hoping it will create an awesome spread of light to act like it does when held up to daylight but even with that I think I'd be best to frost the insides of the stick bars so it works excellent I made the acrylic too clear by polishing it , this light block idea won't be seen because of the clamp bars so should work nicely.

At the moment I'm waiting for deliveries for molex pins & the opal frosted acrylic so could be Tuesday or later before I get to try it out.

I had a good look at the led strips on the apollish fans & they look really thin like around 1mm so was going mad trying to find where I'd get them to add around the exterior so I could join the connector to the fans, Tealc on OCUK was very very helpful about the led strips & I now have the solution for lighting these holders perfectly, after thinking about the fact I'll probably have to file a bit out of the middle of the holders to make space for the strips I thought why the heck not go for the brighter ones , another thing I held the RGB strip underneath the holders & I'd say the orange acyrlic is highly UV reactive so I ordered UV ones so with all this figured out now I've got the bottom of the case bolted back on as I won't need to mod the hdd platform, phew , so can work on other things now while waiting, also if the light is too bright I could slip some laminating sheet inside to diffuse it a bit .

The floppy drive is no longer obsolete. AmEv's Avatar

Somebody get miniature, sanitized plungers.
    I need my eyes pushed back in.
    Two years. They were great. Let's make the next ones even better!

Tri.fecta