Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Project: Pandora's Box

ATX Mental Case RogueOpportunist's Avatar

Default Project: Pandora's Box

Heya guys,

Been lurking around these and various other mod forums across the net for a very long time but my "participation" has been... Well... There hasn't been any. I've always admired some of the things people do to what some would consider a simple computer and I've been inspired by so many of you but for one reason or another I just never got around to doing any work of my own... Time to change that.

Before getting into the actual "meat and potatoes" I would like to take a minute to thank all of you guys for putting the extra effort into documenting your projects and being so helpful to others, a big part of the inspiration comes not from the cases but from the people themselves, you're all doing such great work, keep it up... Now on to the fun!

Pandora's Box

The goal of this project is fairly simple, to create a small, silent, air cooled, moderately powerful MMO gaming rig using standard interchangeable parts. While I previously intended this to be a reserved mod which would serve more as a practice run in working with/cutting metal I decided to change my "direction", this mod is now going to be a test bed to see just how far I can go with this.

My intent is not to go spending 100's of dollars, in fact quite the opposite, I'm doing this on the cheap... Not because I can't afford anything else but from my own perspective it really isn't that hard to throw money at a mod until it looks good because everyone looking at it is largely going to see the money you threw at it, while that obviously isn't always the case I have seen quite a few mods where if it wasn't for the dollar investment it wouldn't be anything special so to test my abilities and see if I got what it takes I'm using low cost resources only.

My planning on this is VERY loose, I have a basic idea and concept but beyond that I intend on working with what the case and my inspiration give me, artistically speaking if I paint a picture or make a drawing I never do so with an image in my head, I just let whatever wants to come out come out and the art creates itself so with this case I am going to follow that same flow.

The case I am working with is some old junker I had kicking around, this is one of those cases they sell for 35$ including power supply so there is absolutely nothing special about it... or is there?

Here it is in its pretty much fresh off the floor where it's been sitting for 3 years form... minus the parts which I already took out...

As you can see this case minus the hideous front bezel is pretty much identical to any other low cost case which for all intents and purposes would do fine for what I need it for but that's no fun... So let's take a peek at what the plan is thus far.

(1) The first area of attack is the chassis as a whole, for some reason I've always liked the look of shallower MATX/ITX towers and the plan is to cut out 3.5 inches of the whole case to give it a bit more of a "cubic" feel, this change isn't so much for the cosmetic value as much as an experiment on working with/cutting case steel but the cosmetic aspect doesn't hurt either... The total case depth after the chop chop should be between 10.5 and 11 inches.

(2) Obviously if I'm shrinking the case these drive cages are going to have to go, that doesn't bother me at all though because this system will not be using an optical drive and if I ever changed my mind on that a slim optical could be worked in practically anywhere.

This cage removal is being done to address a pet peeve of mine in case design, I could make it work even with the reduced case footprint but for the longest time there has always been an aspect of case design that drove me nuts... Well... Not nuts but it bugged me. Why on earth do almost all case designers put one of the 3 hottest components in a computer right smack on top of the intake fan for cool air? Hard drive performance and life are nowhere near as dependant on being “cool” as the rest of the system so why on earth is the cool air hitting them first and spreading their heat through the case to parts where heat IS a critical factor in their life/performance.

I'm sure someone will come along to talk about convection and heat rising and how the cold air coming in is not spreading the heat into the case but let's be real for a minute here, the convection thing only works when the heat has a clear path to travel, with 5.25” drive bays sitting right on top of the hard drives there is a pretty big wall right in the path the heat would be trying to travel in. I'm sure arguments could be made for positive air pressure and all that but I don't know, I've gone over it in my head a million times and putting hard drives where all case manufacturers seem to love putting them just doesn't make sense to me... Or at least not as much sense as having them at the highest point in the case where the heat convection would actually go unimpeded.

I'm sure it's one of those things that would result in a never ending discussion but this is “my” case and in “my” case the cages are coming out and the hard drives are getting slapped right to the top of the case where the convection has nowhere to go but out... But more on that later.

(3) The rinky dink fan port is going too, actually... pretty much the whole front panel is going. With the drive cages gone and hard drives being mounted at the top of the case the idea is to put in 2 120mm intake fans for good airflow directly across the entire motherboard and out the back of the case.

I still have some other ideas swirling around in the old hat rack but the above 3 elements involve the bulk of the “reconstruction” phase of the project, after those are done the rest will likely be fabricated from scratch. I could probably save myself some time by making the whole case from scratch but I'm in this for the experience so make way for the hard way!

Default Re: Project Botbox

I started off today with your basic rivet drilling using a 1/8 inch drill bit, I'm pretty sure everyone around here knows what I mean by that but in case any new people happen to be reading this the case was held together with little rivets, in order to get these out to break down the case into pieces you just need to fire up your drill with a little 1/8 inch drill bit to slowly drill out the rivet, the process is real easy because the rivets already have a little guide hole.

Remember earlier when I said there was nothing special about this case? Then went “or is there?” like the plot was going to thicken later? Well the plot thickened, I managed to pull all the components and take down the whole case without a single cut on my hands... Not even a scratch... The edges on this case are all quite smooth and the vast majority are even rounded... I am impressed. This little case that I spent 35$ on including a power supply is actually better built than my 100$ case... I'm quite ecstatic with the craftsmanship on this little gem, I mean it's no Lian-Li but for a case that is about as cheap as they come I'm stunned.

The parts need some cleaning and I'm hoping that's not rust I see but if you check along the the top right of this picture you can see what I mean about rounded edges, pretty much any area that would have any real human contact (or cable contact) is rounded like that and the edges that aren't are about as sharp as a cheap butter knife.

Have you ever seen those commercials for CLR that say you can use it to clean your coffee maker? Well, I figured I would try to clean the parts with some CLR since I saw what might have been rust... Not really sure if CLR would make a difference or not but I figured if I'm going to clean the parts anyways I might as well use it... Well... Interesting result...

I'm guessing there is some protective coating on the steel, which makes sense... The part that doesn't make sense is the CLR peeling it off on only 2 panels, the bottom and back, the rest of the panels washed fine although some did have small areas with this effect... I used maybe 2 ounces of CLR in a bucket filled with water so now I'm wondering if I could strip that protective layer entirely if I washed the parts down with straight CLR, I'm still going to have to sand them all either way but getting right down to the metal in all the small corners using CLR would be nice... Guess I'll have to experiment a little.

The basic layout inside the case will be fairly simple and compact, the idea is to have the bulk of the airflow passing almost straight through the lower half where the system components are and have the power supply and hard drives on the top. The concept for the hard drive section isn't really fleshed out yet but I'm either going to mesh the top and allow for straight convection, grill the top and use positive air pressure or design the HD bracket more like a conduit and have a fan on the bottom pushing air through, I'm kind of leaning to a less fans is better approach as keeping noise to an absolute minimum is one of my primary targets and the system being housed inside will not be overclocked.

Space is going to be tight up top so the cooling method I go with might end up being a choice of form over function but we'll see, I've measured it out and without the drive brackets in the way there will definitely be space up in that corner, I may just have to cut back to only mounting 2 drives or something.

The front panel has me kind of stumped, the two 120mm fans will sit on the bottom left hand side of the case so the airflow can pass through freely instead of running straight into a wall of ram which leaves an open space on the right side, not sure what to do there... Maybe just some accent decorations or something... Then at the top there is a big open space where the hard drives are being housed, kinda thinking maybe I could pop one of those USB LCD monitors up there... Hmm...

I'm not sure what I want to do here, part of me wants to leave it as flat as I can and go for a more Fractal Designs R3 look... Or cover it in art work... Or kit bash... Hmmm, so many possibilities.

Anyone have any ideas/tips for cutting the case panels? The cuts will be across the entire surface and need to be perfectly straight, Ideally I'm thinking a table saw with some steel cutting blade would be best but I don't have a table saw available to me, my options are pretty much jigsaw or dremel, I'm thinking I could whip up some wooden guide to keep the jigsaw on a perfectly straight path but I'm not sure how well that would work.

Seems like using a jigsaw would be roughly the same as using a table saw with the exception being the saw is moving along the guide instead of the object moving along the guide... Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    Anyone have any ideas/tips for cutting the case panels? The cuts will be across the entire surface and need to be perfectly straight, Ideally I'm thinking a table saw with some steel cutting blade would be best but I don't have a table saw available to me, my options are pretty much jigsaw or dremel, I'm thinking I could whip up some wooden guide to keep the jigsaw on a perfectly straight path but I'm not sure how well that would work.

Seems like using a jigsaw would be roughly the same as using a table saw with the exception being the saw is moving along the guide instead of the object moving along the guide... Any ideas?
    Clamp either a piece of wood or metal L bar to the piece being cut. It works great and is what I was going to recommend before I finished reading this post.

Great work log so far!
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by mDust View Post
    Clamp either a piece of wood or metal L bar to the piece being cut. It works great and is what I was going to recommend before I finished reading this post.

Great work log so far!
    L BAR!... Now why didn't I think of that. Awesome idea, that would work perfectly and I don't have to worry about making all kinds of wood contraptions... You're a life saver. +rep for you!

On another note I whipped up a little concept picture to get a better idea of the look I'm working with, the fan holes are very roughly scaled to occupy the space they would in the real world...

For this picture I centered the fans, not sure what the position will be when I get to the real thing, having them offset for the left side of the case would mean much less interference for the airflow but running them up the middle will probably be more aesthetically pleasing... Hmmm... Cross that bridge when it comes I guess.

If I do run them up the middle of the front bezel I'm tempted to seal off the 92mm fan and vent on the back of the case to create a stronger positive pressure inside the case so the disturbance in air flow won't matter... Not that it would really matter anyways, looking at it the way it is I can't see airflow being any kind of an issue even if I was to overclock the system, I'm probably over-thinking things.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueOpportunist View Post
    ...I'm probably over-thinking things.
    ...which is always better than under-thinking.
    I'll procrastinate tomorrow.

Today I started sanding and marking out the planned cuts on the top, bottom and side panels. I'm trying to take my time figuring out where to cut because I'm trying to preserve as many of the original mounting cuts, brackets, grooves and drilled holes as possible so when the time comes to put it all back together the "machined" accuracy of the various holes needed to put it together is maintained... This is exactly why I am cutting my portion from the middle of the case instead of just shaving it off the ends.

This top piece is the only one that isn't going to turn out looking like a shorter version of the original after the chop chop because in order for me to keep the "feet" on the bottom of the case and the notches that the side panels slide into the race track looking detail on the top segment is going to look "off".

My plan for the top panel is to get rid of the detail part but I'm still considering which way to go about it. Since it is an indent in the top of the case I could bondo the top smooth pretty easily... Although the top has some flex to it, of which I am not sure what effect it would have on the bondo...

I'm not sure if that flex would crack the bondo while I'm working with it. The other option that kind of goes with my idea of having convection keep the hard drives cool would be to cut out the center of the top panel and replace the whole top with mesh...

I was cruising the net earlier after digging through some boxes of trinkets and things looking for inspiration on what to do with the front bezel and at some point during that I decided that I'm changing the whole direction of this project, the basic work on the chassis will remain the same but the overall creative design is going a completely different way.

This is my first real project and as such I want to see just how far I can push myself, I see so many truly amazing things being done on this site and I want to see just how much of that I myself am capable of... So it's time to unleash the beast and pull out all the stops.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to change thread titles on these forums, can anyone point me to where that might be done? On most forums if you edit the title on the 1st post it changes the thread name but on this forum it doesn't.

If a mod happens to read this and users aren't capable of changing thread titles could you change the title to "Project: Pandora's Box" for me please? I would hate to have to create a whole new thread just for a title.

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

If you're still wanting to put your HDDs up at the top, I would recommend going the mesh route. That'll give you a lot more airflow around the HDDs, and actually if you seal the back and mesh most of the top, those two 120mm fans on the front should do for airflow for the entire case.

For the thread title, you are correct in guessing that only mods can change them. I'm sure one will come across this eventually, or you could always send one a PM.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV