Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Its sold, now what to replace it with.

Default Its sold, now what to replace it with.

Hey guys and apple haters, i sold my macbook! Im going to be using the proceeds to buy a new laptop and i need the help of TBCS. Im leaning towards an alienware mx11 i5 that i think i can get for about 750-800, So whats the next best bet? Budget is no higher than 850, screen max size is 15 inch, high resolution screen, and has to be able to run bfbc2 and NFS Hot Pursuit 3.
    Not dead yet

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Default Re: Its sold, now what to replace it with.

PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

There isn't any better then....

http://www.sagernotebook.com/

You can even throw down on six core intel i7's in tandum with Dual GTX400 series or ATi 5xxx series if that fits your fancy.

beware though they aren't the prettiest looking laptops out there, so if for some odd reason you use your laptop as a fashion accessory (*cough*, mac)you might just want to stick with the more expensive but less powerful alienware

but if you want sturdy construction and top performance, i've never heard a person complain after they bought a Sager. theres probably 40 people wandering around ww2ol (www.wwiionline.com) with Sager laptops after we all recommended them on those forums.

if sager isn't you thing, you might consider a ASUS G series laptop, i've heard great things from them as well.

Alienware is pretty, but expensive. They also don't always have the best available options even when money isn't an issue. You should only consider them if they are your best option for what you want or need, or if you just must have something pretty.

These two are your most powerful options for 15" and under.

Custom Title Honors BuzzKillington's Avatar

Those are fairly low-res though.

EDIT: Woops, I just realized my link was a 17"
    PS3: CaptBuzzCooler

They're all low resolution, including the Alienware. He won't get anything higher without spending more or opting for a larger screen.

By the way, my friend also wanted no larger than 15" however ended up getting 17.3". He couldn't be happier with the end result. Just something to consider. Personally, I wouldn't let 2" decide which laptop I buy unless you have a solid reason.

i have 2 24 inch screens. lol. i need something small and portable, a 17 wont fit in my backpack.
    Not dead yet

Buy a new backpack? lol

I'd actually go with the Alienware if you need something portable.

I wouldn't go with 15" over 17" if you primarily want portability, personally. You sacrifice too much for too little of a difference. That's just my opinion though. So crazily enough, I'd go with the Alienware. As far as newegg goes, it's the better option. Although it does have it's drawbacks.

You've already heard my opinion of the Alienware. The hinge problems just cripple what is a great laptop. It doesn't matter how great a laptop it is if the hinge is going to break eventually by design flaw. It doesn't matter if mine gets fixed as it will happen again no matter what I do.

I take immaculate care of my things. I barely used it 3 times a week for 3 months before the hinge went. If it was just me and not others I could probably just overlook it. But there are multiple hundreds of page threads with people with the same issue. Add to that the other set of hundred page threads about the keyboard rubbing on the screen and leaving permanent marks, which mine has also succumbed to. Happens because the hinge sits too low compared to the laptop body, so the top actually touches the laptop and doesn't sit right.

The hardware is great, the build quality not so much.

i was under the impression that they redesigned the hinge in the MX11R2 in addition to adding in nvidia optimus and the i series processors. am i wrong?
    Not dead yet