Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast

Thread: I promised I'd post it. My 924 project (pic heavy)

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Default Re: I promised I'd post it. My 924 project (pic heavy)

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    why did i read this whole worklog? because racecar!

actually I didn't read 100% of it, but what I did see is awesome as hell.
    hehehe I can see this is just the tip of the ice burg of what this guy has planned for this black stallion of a 924

Quote Originally Posted by Twigsoffury View Post
    ~25 pounds off the front end is gonna help you tons!!!
    Are you gonna shift your battery to the back cabin and try to even out the weight a little bit more?
    The battery position is actually pretty good. The cars are a 51/49 weight distribution so I'm not too worried about losing too much weight in the front or rear. I'd prefer to go with the current plan of weight reduction and then if it feels wonky I can always change things.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    why did i read this whole worklog? because racecar!

actually I didn't read 100% of it, but what I did see is awesome as hell.
    I'm glad you are enjoying it! I'm excited to get it running hopefully soon.

I have unfortunately ran into a bit of a problem though. I went to take the head off so I could do the head gasket, and what I found was most displeasing...

Basically, this stems back to some vandalizing caused by a neighbor draining the oil out of my car because he didn't like me. I blew a head gasket, etc etc... I had no idea the top end suffered damage. On top of this, after looking through the oil tube, one side of the tube was clogged and was starving one side of the cam. So where the damage began, it got worse and worse. I'll be borrowing the engine hoist from my dad since he isn't using it and pull the entire engine this coming weekend.

I was going to hold off on rebuilding it entirely, but in light of this damage, it is best if I tear down engine #1 completely, bring in engine #1 and #2 into a machine shop, see what can be salvaged and make one good engine. I was going to rebuild it next season anyway, so it'll be a season early basically.

The GOOD news is that cam out of engine #2 is in near flawless shape. The main bearings are in great shape and even the crank out of engine #2 is great. If there is no scoring in the cylinders on engine #1 I will likely throw all the internals out of #2 into #1 after getting everything machined.

In the mean time my concentration will be working on the rest of the engine harness and wiring on the car which is coming along nicely.

I also finished the plumbing for the brakes as well so that's a good feeling. Now the big thing is to get the leverage right and working with the pedal properly since it is now a manual brake setup.

Bumpy stick got a little less bumpy...

I can only assume your neighbor is hanging out with a few bags of lye these days?

Gonna be running the entire valve train from #2, or just the cams?

Are there any good performance cams out there for your engine? Can't hurt to get it breathing a little better then stock...
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CorsePerVita View Post
    The battery position is actually pretty good. The cars are a 51/49 weight distribution so I'm not too worried about losing too much weight in the front or rear. I'd prefer to go with the current plan of weight reduction and then if it feels wonky I can always change things.
    I keep forgetting were talking about a car that at some point would of cost 60,000+

I keep forgetting were talking about a car that at some point would of cost 60,000+
    Well maybe thats what it would be in today's money.. but they retailed for right around 10K..

Considering a 1977 Camaro Z28 started right around $5K + options.

By 1988 the 924 had climbed as high as 26K for the base.

10K bought alot of engineering 35 years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by altec View Post
    Bumpy stick got a little less bumpy...

I can only assume your neighbor is hanging out with a few bags of lye these days?

Gonna be running the entire valve train from #2, or just the cams?

Are there any good performance cams out there for your engine? Can't hurt to get it breathing a little better then stock...
    There are actually. I'm still debating if I'm going to go that route or run it with a stock cam this season since I do have a good cam from engine #2.

Quote Originally Posted by OvRiDe View Post
    Well maybe thats what it would be in today's money.. but they retailed for right around 10K..

Considering a 1977 Camaro Z28 started right around $5K + options.

By 1988 the 924 had climbed as high as 26K for the base.

10K bought alot of engineering 35 years ago!
    Yep that's what it cost back then. Anymore you can find a near pristine 924 that needs little to nothing for about $4-5k. They are not insanely expensive cars. Not to mention, the 924 is easy to work on. The 944... well... not so much.

Gutted the last bit of wiring out of the car tonight. Also removed the heater. Will be taking the heater core out tomorrow (Probably going to try and find a lightweight electric heater instead).

While I was at it, I took the last bit of the old brake system out and got mine ready to install the master cyl. I also yanked out the pedals so I could fix them as they were starting to show their age. The brake pedal even had bends on one part of the pedal, not sure how. But I sealed it up and have been putting more coats on it. Here it is (not entirely finished), my mod for the week.

finished version

Colors are all messed up in this picture. The rusty looking stuff is actually glue from all the sound deadening removal. The bolt is actually a stainless steel bolt but it's colored red, but it's new hardware. That's what I get for a cell phone pic.

Anyway, brakes successfully converted. Too tired to bleed them right now. I'm tired.

Had some quirks with the rails not lining up like I wanted them to so I removed them and got the seat fitment right where I wanted it and adjusted things.

Party on dudes

Party on Wayne!
    Current Projects
    -1979 Jeep DJ5 "Mail Jeep"
    -1981 Chevrolet K10

What did you use to seal your trunk and floor?
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide