Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: I promised I'd post it. My 924 project (pic heavy)

Default Re: I promised I'd post it. My 924 project (pic heavy)

Got bored today so i started working on the new gauges which were in wayyyy better shape. Was going to get to work on stripping some stuff out and getting to work on the dash.

However, I can't find the strips of carbon fiber I had for it.... so i worked on the gauges and getting them back in shape.

I salvaged the extra console i have and basically stripped it of the switches, gauges, etc, which I am going to reuse on a small, carbon fiber layered display once i'm finished. Because i'm finicky and picky, i decided to take them apart, clean them up, etc.... tested them as well. Obviously there's no point in using gauges if they don't work, right? And that milky look you get when gauges are 20+ years old? Annoying, right?

Here's the console itself.

Pulling the gauges.

Switches (tested each one, work great)

Process of testing and fixing gauges. First off... These are in WAY better shape than my last ones. They just need cleaned. On these particular gauges Porsche uses tools to essentially put a small metal cover over a rubber gasket that seals the back onto them. It's a delicate process to try and take the cover off.... not break the glass... and put it back on properly...

Cleaning up the exterior metal.

The back and contacts.

That milky look i was talking about.

First, test it and make sure it even reads voltage.

Sweet.

Taking the back off to clean the contacts and make sure 100% we are getting the best POSSIBLE connection at all times. Remember these contacts are from 1977!

Sand and clean these down, ensure the plugs are done well.

Looks bent, but corrects when putting back on. Delicate... remember...

Gasket.

If the inside is in good shape it'll be nice and black, look clean and solid. Remove any contaminants inside the gauges...

Make sure you are happy with the glass before you put it back in. I gently blow on mine to remove any dust, and then use something soft to wipe it off. Put it back in the gauges and if there's dust, blow it off and do it again. I touch it with a napkin so my fingerprints don't get in it.

Sweet. There's glass in there?

And done.

I also got bored and figured I'd see if the badge was also able to be fixed. Covered in some sort of awkward primer, paint, and house paint?

So i started wiping away.... something is under there.

After a lot of using my own little tools and chems to get it down to where it needed....

Finally....

After a nice polish. Just needs a little hand polishing now...

Before and after. This goes on the car last. It's not finished till the badge is on it

Got the engine almost out today. Down to the bellhousing and unbolting it. Andy is being a badass and helping me pull it tomorrow with a cherry picker. Got an engine stand for Christmas and am going to rebuild and reseal the engine and use the opportunity to completely go through it before transplanting it. Should be a great opportunity to build my megasquirt system here pretty quick.

All that will be left is the cosmetic bullcrap, getting the suspension in, and it'll be able to be easily transformed from there. So if all goes well should have it up for autocross next season. Will just depend on progress and how things go. Worst case scenario I can always get the Ducati out on the track next year if I don't get the 924 done in time so I'm not too depressed lol.

Have pics, will wait till it's all out tomorrow before posting them.

Although i'll post this one, haha, my friend andy came over to help! So all 3 of us were basically tearing everything out of the car, didn't take long to get it down to the bellhousing.

Prepping to pull the *******.

Ugly, but not rusted, needs cleaned and runs great.

This windshield has aerodynamic A/C mods!

My buddy Kenny drinking his coffee with an elegant touch.

Cherrypicker time!

Me disconnecting the crossmember to get the engine out.

And...

YES

Finally it's home.

Now the real work can start.

Zündfolge! I love original parts.

Finishing the rear seat and floorpan.

Few more days of project time and I should have the entire floorpan and rear seat sealed and painted and finished. Sanding, prepping, stripping, sanding, prepping, stripping, repeating on all areas that need it. But at least I get to use all my new powertools. hehe.

Totally sweet.

Dead smack in the middle of the rebuild. I've got all my ARP connecting parts ordered. Head gasket is here, all the seals are here.

Also bought a yard of carbon fiber so I can lighten certain areas and parts within the car to get rid of some nice weight.

Also fabricating GT lights which is about 50% done. They're being a pain in the ass, but they're coming along.

I have also got a quote directly from Crower for connecting rods and bolts. Should be ordering them here in the next coming week. Not in a huge hurry as they take 6 weeks to order anyway... pain in the ass to wait, so i guess i won't be finishing the rebuild as soon as I expected. But i want them badly, and don't feel like putting it together, running stock rods, tearing it down in 6 weeks and doing it over again. So.... I'll wait.

Also started on head work, but can't do a lot of it myself since i don't have the machinery - so i'm going to have to find a place to ship it off to as I'm ordering a big valve kit for it, new seats, etc as well that comes with the kit.

Does anyone also know of a good shop I could bring the block to for hot tanking?

The below pictures are the project car engine. The head is in far better shape than my own, but suffered a head gasket blow as well. And obviously had **** that sat. So looks like i'm going to end up honing the cylinders a fair bit.

Valve tappets are in great shape. So is the cam. Don't mind the dirt on the top, it's from taking the distributor off the engine.

This is when I went "Ugh."

Reason for the failure. If you can't see why, well... we need to have a talk.

I need to snap some pics. Just too damn lazy to care right now. But I'm down to the block, everything is in pieces

The barf looked worse than it really was. That's mostly since it sat. It cleaned up just fine.

Also ordered this just what I was looking for on the head work.

Hell, it even came with a coupon!

All the way down to the block. Next stop - Hot tank, hone, and machine work.

Pictures of cylinders. Not that bad. Will need honed.

Perspective from the bottom end

Crank is in very good shape.

This had me going "huh.." as it has some oddball wear. Doesn't look rotational since it goes back and forth diagonally, perhaps factory? Odd.

Yep. Ick.

Another of the odd wear.

I think the pistons could be cleaned up and reused but I think I may wanna just get new ones since I'm already getting new rods.

w00t.