Hoo-ra update time.
Progress is goin somewhat slow, but going nonetheless.
Working on the main frame;
This update brought to you by the letter "D!"
I wasn't trying to make it symmetrical and even... The odd shape is intentional.
Remember this guy?
Well, he is getting, reassigned...
Section of steel hose, jagged cut.
These wires don't go to anything. I just found a bunch of different wires and a small section of hose and cut them and pulled them all in different fashions.
Some black convoluted tubing. This does have tube in it, but it's just to keep its shape. It doesn't go to anything, and the othe end will not be exposed.
Here it is mocked up together, maybe you can get a rough idea of where this is going. Probably not, but hey.
Also I have a support for the arm that I've been working on, but it's still kinda rough, I'll post pics of that tomorrow.
OK, not an actual building update,
I just wanted to show some materials I picked up last night.
I know the color doesn't come through in this picture, but trust me, this sand has a beautiful red color. I got it from the red rock area around Sedona, in northern Arizona. I will sift it, getting rid of everything but the fine sand.
Also snagged a few red rocks.
As well as these, from a local fish store.
Now, I know these would never exist in the same place naturally, so I don't need some would-be geologist telling me that. I dug the red earth myself, so I know what was around....
These will all come into play in the final stages.
(For those of you unfamiliar with the natural beauty of Sedona, here his a random pic from the web. Almost kinda looks like Mars or something.)
sedona is very nice, I've been there a few times. once with a group on bikes. we left phoenix and it was 85º and sunny...well we got towards sedona and it started snowing, so we turned around lol
Ah, beautiful part of the country.
So are you joining the "strangest material to use in a mod" competition?
hahaha yeah I'm sure not too many people get a human arm in the mail and think, "Yay modding supplies!"
I can't believe no one is taking that! Hell I might just sigquote myself on that one!
Another smallish update.
Taking some inspiration from the Wood Stove Mod, (that and the fact that I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for anyway) I decided to make my own smoker unit.
Simple cast aluminum project box, used a dremel to cut the hole for a 40mm fan.
DC powered soldering iron;
The clear tube off to the side goes to the respirator mask the biomech skull will be wearing.
Test run using vegetable oil;
It smokes, but I'm not exactly going to be using this to send out any smoke signals.
To get more contact with the actual heating element, I disconnected the wire,
Then flipped the element around inside the barrel. The holes will allow more contact, and better heat dispersion. Or something. And stuff.
I'll keep working on this throughout the weekend, as well as work on getting some more welding done. This thing is nearing the end of actual construction, however it might be a couple weeks before I actually get the last few parts I need. I will try and stay otherwise busy in the meantime.
Got the arm welded to the frame.
Here it is with the real arm in place;
Cage in place;
Also, one leg, prepped for install;
Nice and flush.
(As it turns out, the single flat stock isn't strong enough. Will have to switch to angle iron or something that doesn't flex.)
Here is is all mocked up;
Please note- the water pump will not be right there. It's just holding up the skull right now.