Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: Arctic Cat

Resident 100HP water-cannon operator SXRguyinMA's Avatar

Default Re: Project: Arctic Cat

Update time

I got this candy mold from eBay for $2

I had some of this casting resin leftover from a different project

I mixed 1oz of resin and 1oz of hardener, and it was enough to fill all 8 cavities. I only needed 2, but I did all 8 in case I screwed one or two up during the removal process.

Two days later I removed them from the mold. It's a good thing I made all 8, as they were tough to remove and I only ended up with 4 usable pieces. Yes, even that broken one will do, you'll see why in a sec. These just need another day or two to harden, then I'll do the final trimming and filing and painting.

Next I had a pair of these green NGK spark plug boots. But they'll be of no use to me in the state that they're in. So off to the band saw!

Now this is why that broken one doesn't matter. These will sit at the back of the case (see the SketchUp models in the first post). I'll mill out the center of the plugs, and 3mm blue LEDs will be installed. The wiring will be run up the plug and cap and out the wire end of the caps, and over to my LED blinky kit from John at PCBoard.ca.

Now the LED blinky kit blinks much too slow for these to look like real plugs firing, so I did some swapping of capacitors and resistors until I got the blink rate just right.

Video if the standard configuration:

Updated configuration:

And soldered together:

It's kinda hard to tell because of the frame rate of the camera, but it looks sweet.

Next I disassembled the Cooler Master V6GT that I got from CJ. The LED effects that come with it are red, blue, purple, or off. This won't do now will it?

So I took out the control board and hot-glued in a 5mm green LED

Much better

I'm also going to add 4 5mm green LEDs to the front side fan on the cooler. I'm currently waiting on a shipment of 5mm and 3mm green LEDs

That's all for now!

send the plugs out to me and I can make them look real,...

Nice!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by SXRguyinMA View Post
    Now, off to the basement to do some fiddling with the rods and such.
    so far left of center i'm in right field

Quote Originally Posted by Primocustoms View Post
    send the plugs out to me and I can make them look real,...
    will do. I'll send them along with the case. I've got everything ready to ship out, pm me with an address to ship it to! We've gotta do a skype one night with Rick Maines as well to discuss the deets

Quote Originally Posted by msmrx57 View Post
    Nice!!!!
    thanks

Will YOU be ready when the zombies rise? x88x's Avatar

Nice! Hmm, those spark plug candy moulds are tempting....if nothing else to confuse people at parties.
    That we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously.
    --Benjamin Franklin
    TBCS 5TB Club :: coilgun :: bench PSU :: mightyMite :: Zeus :: E15 Magna EV

It's lookin good Will! I might have some time tonight to get on skype or even a conference call.

sounds good. I've got to go look at a guy's snowmobile after work, so I'm not sure when I'll be free. I'll probably end up going over there and pulling the carbs off and bringing them back to my hosue and cleaning them. want me to give you a call when I'm home?

woy...collokweee...weeble weeble blaaaat artoodeeto's Avatar

sweet! That's the same epoxy stuff I used to cast a few parts on the sandcrawler. I found it hardens almost completely in about 24 hours. Did you use a mold release of some kind? They should have come out pretty cleanly if you did (although I used a latex mold rather than plastic, and was able to peel the mold off my casts). I also used a resin spray on the casts after they came out to ensure that their outer surfaces were nice and hard.

I didn't truly appreciate what a nice case this is until I happened to see one in Fry's this evening. Looks awesome, even without doing anything to it! Your mod should be some pretty awesome improvements.
    Quote Originally Posted by ElevateThis View Post
    I'd mod my dog if i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    (Steam me.... that sounds bad >_<)