Thread: Omega's Tips on OCing Athlon64's

Practice random acts of generosity Omega's Avatar

Default Omega's Tips on OCing Athlon64's

Yo.

so i have seen quite a bit of threads acking about OCing AMD chips, and i figured i may as well make a nice little section on ocing the Athlon64's. This will probably work for other Athlons too, but i don't know.

First:
    Before you OC, do extensive testing for temperatures at both idle and load, and get temps from the CPU and GPU. on my AMD/ATi system, i merely use ATiTrayTools and enable the FlashOSD to tell me my temperatures.

Second:
    Once you know your CPU's general range of temps, you might want to step up the cooling if you feel it's running too hot. 45c idle on a S754 3200+ is a good temperature, and under load anything from 50-55c is fine. However, that is a bit warm. To cool it down more: Siginifigantly increase airflow. Change HSF (if you're using stock). Get silver thermal junk, Ceramic thermal junk isn't as conductive.

Third:
    Once you decide to OC, go into the bios. when you're in there, find a menu which should let you change the "FSB Frequency" or "FSB Speed". Remeber, FSB Speed * Multiplier = Core speed. so i have a 11x multiplier (Special newcastle core S754), with a 209MHz FSB, that puts my Athlon64 at 2299, or 2.3GHz. that's .1GHz over stock. HOWEVER, be warned. increase the FSB speed in small increments, such as 2MHz, then go break it in at it's new speed until either you're satisfied, or even the slightest of errors occours.

Fourth (Errors from OCing):
    Set the FSB speed back to stock. then, if you choose to go back and OC agian, half the increments you OC it. so if it was 2MHz, now only increase it 1MHz.

Fourth (Successful OC):
    Once agian, run multiple (and intense) tests to get temperatures and a general feel for the performance gains. These gains should be pretty minisucle, but you get the bragging rights with it.

Fifth (if it runs too hot for you):
    Either clock it down, or step up your cooling. If it's siginifigntly hotter than what you want, either clock it down, or watercool.

Hope this helps.

-Omega

EDIT:
    I claim no responsibility for any parts you damage following these procedures. this guide is merely for education purposes. if you wish to take it further, then you claim full responsibility for all damage. Have fun, and happy modding.

Edit2:
    Keep in mind this guide is for light overclocking, and nothing too hardcore. no voltages will need to be changed within 400MHz or so form stock. Overvloting can, and probably will, fry your CPU. Once agian, i am not responsible.

Woodworking unicycling bodybuilder tybrenis's Avatar

Default Re: Omega's Tips on OCing Athlon64's

Nice guide! You should add this to the "Tips and Tricks" forum, perhaps.
    Typo:
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveW View Post
    Jon has altered his cock to compensate.

Anodized

Default Re: Omega's Tips on OCing Athlon64's

Yeah I cant wait I'm going to OC my Athlon 64 3200+ from 2.01ghz to 3.8Ghz j/k
    "Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side kid." --Han Solo--
    Star Wars IV:A New Hope