Thread: Good brand for tools?

Default Good brand for tools?

Merry Christmas all!

So I'm really looking into getting some tools for myself rather than borrowing or going somewhere to use tools. First I'm gonna be getting a drill press.

The question is...does anyone prefer a brand-name? Growing up I've always used Makita tools so I never got to venture out much. What are some good tools for quality:price ratio?
    It's like JFK announcing the moon mission. He had no expertise in space travel, and no way of knowing if it would work. He just announced "we're going to the moon" and then they made it happen because everyone was on the same page and working towards the same goal. If he had said "well, let's get some people in space, and we'll see how far out we can get, and if I find someone to make a rocket strong enough, we could possibly approach the moon's orbit and maybe land" it wouldn't have happened.

Default Re: Good brand for tools?

Makita drills are pretty good. I prefer Ryobi and Dewalt; though Stanley, Coleman, and Hitachi brands are fairly popular. Even some of the Sears/Craftsman tools aren't bad, sometimes they're rebranded/variant/discontinued stuff made by companies like Dremel.

I'm of the opinion that simple tools (like power drills and drill presses) don't need to be über high-end cost and quality, just be careful to avoid no-name Shenzhen specials and you should do well enough. All the better brands carry decent warranty details. Make sure all the bits and accessories are standard and interchangeable with other tools, see whether each model requires special battery packs/chargers and the availability/cost of replacements on older models (since, one day, your new drill will be an older model with a dead battery). Also remember that part of the hidden cost of your new tool will be maintenance - power tools might require carbon brushes, washers, springs, or whatever from time to time - find out what you might need (and what it'll cost) beforehand.

You can sometimes get better bang-for-the-buck by buying combo sets with all sorts of extra gizmos included - usually less expensive than buying all the pieces individually, though just a waste of money (and storage space) if you'll never use most of the extras anyways.

If you're looking for extreme precision machining-grade stuff (or high-ticket items) then it's wise to compare specs and prices at various places before you buy. Big-ticket machines tend to come with big-ticket maintenance requirements.
    My mind says Technic, but my body says Duplo.

the thing with craftsmen is the warranty is great. no matter what happens they will replace the tool. i always try to get them.
    Quote Originally Posted by AmEv View Post
    Or are you talking about vending machine choice C-4?

mmmmm... skittles....
    bench mark software.

video bios flashing guide

100% Recycled Pixels. Twigsoffury's Avatar

for a drill press i'd probably shoot for Delta, they've been around since 1906 and the delta lathe at bud's job has been working since the 1940's lol.

think thats what norm abram uses as well in the new yankee work shop show.

Craftsman and Snap-on. Proto is good as well. All my favorites. I've got tools that were proto and snap-on from back when my grandpa was a cat mechanic that still have yet to break on me.

Proto tools are pretty darn rugged. You'll spend money on them, but good tools are worth the money and have the warranty to back them.

Depends on what size you're looking for. Can I refer you to toolcritic.com? Between their reviews, wood magazine, and amazon reviews, you can usually sort out what is the best price to feature options. I recently went shopping for a bandsaw. Jet, Grizzly, and Rikon were the 3 brands that I narrowed it down to.

Over 75 Custom PC's in 20 years TheGreatSatan's Avatar

I use all different kinds. Except, I never use Dremel brand dremels because I always kill them in less than a year. My craftsman one has been solid for over 2 years now.
    WH1T3 0U7
    Modified Thermaltake View 37
    Intel 9900K, MSI Z390A, 128GB (32GB x4) GSkill Royal 3200MHz, RTX 3080 Vision, EVGA Nu Audio, 1TB Silicon Power SSD, EVGA 1300G2, ID cooling 360mm AiO, LG 3440 x 1440

Craftsman is great, but you need to remember the "no questions asked warranty" only applies to hand tools, not power tools.

I generally love ryobi power tools, but I have a 12 inch drill press from Craftsman that I love. Also have their 18 inch scroll saw which is the most used tool I have. Both feel very well made and are items I'm sure I will have for years.